Working in Phnomh Penh without a degree

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Working in Phnomh Penh without a degree

Post by frank lee bent »

If he wants to PM. I will let him know. It is in Poipet though. My friend will probably leave there soon
Teaching babies.
Dumbinic
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Dumbinic »

Buy a fake degree.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

It won't be an issue. You will undoubtedly pick up some teaching hours and then you will either be able to do the job well and get offered more hours, or you'll be rubbish and only ever get the 5-7 slots. I wouldn't sweat the degree too much.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

don't forget to hook up with a bar-girl and make the 7th circle of hell complete.
I was gunna save my 100th post for something special, meaningful, something that gives back to the forum, enriches someones life in some way
but fuck it, this made me .....lol
Even the ugly ones
Scotsmarc
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Scotsmarc »

did @Simon1867 ever make it to Cambodia. Would be interested to hear his experience.
Mr-Retardo
BANNED

Post by Mr-Retardo »

Brody wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am
Welcome to the wondrous world of tefl jobbing, don't forget to hook up with a bar-girl and make the 7th circle of hell complete.
for sure, then remember, in your 3rd yr here you actually have to marry them to appear 'respectable'
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Simon1867 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 pm Hi all!

I've just completed my TEFL course and am moving to Cambodia in March to hopefully start teaching English to students.

I'm a male, aged 33 with a lengthy CV of managerial and training positions (no actual teaching experience though).

Do you think it will be relatively straightforward for me to obtain a job with the Tefl under my belt bearing in mind I have no degree? I'm certainly not expecting to get the first one I apply for.

I'm not using this just as a stop gap, so I'm totally approaching it with a view to sticking with the job and actually helping to educate people, rather than just as a means to live somewhere hot.

Any advice whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon
I only had a tefl when i got here.took 3 months to get a decent paying job.in berween i did volunteer work to gain extra experience
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Soriya wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:04 pm
Simon1867 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:19 pm Hi all!

I've just completed my TEFL course and am moving to Cambodia in March to hopefully start teaching English to students.

I'm a male, aged 33 with a lengthy CV of managerial and training positions (no actual teaching experience though).

Do you think it will be relatively straightforward for me to obtain a job with the Tefl under my belt bearing in mind I have no degree? I'm certainly not expecting to get the first one I apply for.

I'm not using this just as a stop gap, so I'm totally approaching it with a view to sticking with the job and actually helping to educate people, rather than just as a means to live somewhere hot.

Any advice whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon
I only had a tefl when i got here.took 3 months to get a decent paying job.in berween i did volunteer work to gain extra experience
How decent is decent?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

To OP,

The clever move is to get a skill (and certification if possible) THEN coming up here to search a job.

If you're not here for the hot weather, you could get certified anywhere else before looking to have a decent living here.

Descent is above 1500$. Sure, under you can have fun, but when you're 30 already you need to save a bit , enjoy life, and be ready to move somewhere else quick if needed (health, family, job opp).

Because when you're worn out here, and didn't add any certification while here, and you have to go back home (hopefully without any addiction or health issues), you have to be fit to make your comeback.

Preparation makes the difference. Good life, shit life.
Great memories, big remorses. And so on.
Mr-Retardo
BANNED

Post by Mr-Retardo »

I doubt many people here are really here just for the hot weather - could always go to southern Europe for that
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic