How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

Post by Kammekor »

The embassy is wrong, here's the document from MoFAIC:

https://www.nederlandwereldwijd.nl/bina ... 0_0001.pdf

And don't trust them, you have deal with MoFAIC, not the embassy.

<edit>
Make sure you have all the documents, and all documents are still valid (until you're at the ministry of interior to apply). Legalize whichever you can. If all documents are legalized, you can apply for the standard fee of 500.000r at MoFAIC. If a stamp is missing, there's a 'special track' they will offer you, and they will call it 'express service'. Same at the ministry of interior. If you have to used 'express service' you're not expected to hand out any more cookies during high tea at either MoFAIC or MoI. If someone asks you, just tell them you already paid for 'express' and someone high up asked you to report any requests for money. You just pay a large sum upfront twice, I put the numbers elsewhere in thread. Those are the Jan. 2019 numbers.
</edit>
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:50 pm Hey guys for anyone else this might help in future:

I got an reply from the Cambodian embassy in my country. They told me that a legalisation through the Cambodian embassy is not necessary.

Especially regarding the unofficial document "proof of income" a legalisation / "stamp" is not required. The embassy told me that my embassy in Cambodia will make an "notarization" of my offical documents AND attach a "diplomatic verbal note".
You seem to be messed up/confused pretty much.

You have to present documents from YOUR country if you want to get married in Cambodia. The Cambodian government can not tell if the documents you present are real or not, so they will ask for a confirmation from YOUR embassy, the embassy of YOUR country, the documents are true. If the documents are true, the embassy of YOUR country will sign/stamp/legalize them. They are the ones who can tell true from false (or they should be).

The following documents must be signed / legalized by the embassy of YOUR country in Cambodia, to proof they are true:

https://www.nederlandwereldwijd.nl/bina ... 0_0001.pdf

The Cambodian embassy in your country has nothing to do with this process. It's their job to check if documents from Cambodia, used in your country, are true. They know nothing about documents from your country, they only know about Cambodian documents.

But, there might be a small problem for you. The Cambodian government wants your embassy to legalize those documents, but most countries will not allow embassies to do so, usually the ministry of foreign affairs has a department in the (IN YOUR) country doing these kind of things. Embassies usually legalize only a few documents for people living overseas, not all documents. The ministry of foreign affairs can legalize all documents from your country.

If your documents are legalized by the MoFA in YOUR country and not by your embassy, you're in twilight zone and not fully compliant with Cambodian law. If they notice when you apply for marriage in Cambodia, there's 'express service' for you and it'll cost you.

Now you forget ALL about Cambodian embassy in YOUR country. They are not in any way involved in this process. You deal with your embassy in Cambodia (or the embassy from your country closest to Cambodia, usually in Bangkok) and the Cambodian government.

If your embassy can not legalize all documents needed, you need to turn to the ministry of foreign affairs in YOUR country.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I have not looked back here since PsdKiwi was helping ya figuring you were good. I have not been to MOI in about 6 months. Now at MoFA I had a smug young man helping me. There are no stamps or any certifications regarding my proof of income. He asked me a few questions about it and that was it. I only had a letter from my boss stating my monthly and annual gross income. My boss also listed all his contact info. I had no bank statements or anything else to prove income. It was accepted no problem.
Idk if that info helps you, I hope it does. If I could go back in time I would have hired someone to handle everything. I thought it sounded easy with the guide. But they find ways to play paper games with you if you're doing it yourself. They did with us anyhow.
There is no mention of how to bribe them anywhere. I did and still Don't know how to handle that. At MoI I hit a wall. One visit there with the man handling our attempt,I tapped my money clip with $1000 on my shoulder the whole time we talked, hoping he'd ask for a bribe. The next visit, the same man, gave us his phone number when on the the previous visit he told us he couldn't give it out. I thought "great, here's my chance." My wife called to offer a bribe, it was turned down. I believe when you hire someone, they pay the bribes and the guys at the government office do not want to risk getting reported or it going viral. They have working relationships with the fixers and trust them as they help each other.
For the money I should have just paid someone. Now my docs are all expired. We have decided to marry in my country and fly back here. My .02 cents, hire someone.
Still here, in country...
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm
At the MoFA they will hand the Cambodian a few pieces of paper:

- a declaration about where the foreigner and Cambodian met each other (one for each person) - can be filled in on the spot.
- a declaration for the parents of the Cambodian they consent with the marriage - signed of by the Sangkat where the parents live - so if you don't prepare this document in advance it means a few days delay to prepare it.

The Cambodian could collect these documents at the MoFA before the application and prepare those to make things run smoothly.
This decleration from the partens is a special form or just a signed letter?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:21 pm

- a declaration about where the foreigner and Cambodian met each other (one for each person) - can be filled in on the spot.
- a declaration for the parents of the Cambodian they consent with the marriage - signed of by the Sangkat where the parents live - so if you don't prepare this document in advance it means a few days delay to prepare it.

The Cambodian could collect these documents at the MoFA before the application and prepare those to make things run smoothly.
This decleration from the partens is a special form or just a signed letter?
Special form. Needs to be signed by local sangkat.
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:45 pm
There's also some extra documents they will give you at the MoFA last minute (permission to get married for the Cambodian) to delay your application.
Oh about what extra documents you are talking?

I will take
  • Confirmation that i am single from my country (Affidavit of Single Status)
    --Confirmation of my embassy that this document is real
    Copy passport
    Copy Visa
    a confirmaiton of my salary in english from my company
    my salary documents
    my bank account documents (stating salary)
    Criminal records + apostille
    Medical Certificate from Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh
    Certified copy of birth certificates
So as i read i have NOT to wait 21 days until i can apply? I can fly there and apply IMMEDIATELY?

About the documents you bring, it's not OK unless you've been incomplete:

Confirmation that i am single from my country (Affidavit of Single Status)
--Confirmation of my embassy that this document is real
OK

Copy passport
Not OK, must be a legalized copy, signed of by your embassy in Cambodia or the representative elsewhere.

Copy Cambodian Visa
Must be legalized too, which embassies usually won't do because they will not make statements about foreign documents. Not sure the MoFA still enforces this.

a confirmation of my salary in english from my company
my salary documents
my bank account documents (stating salary)
Not sure, they might ask for a declaration of your embassy those documents are actually true

Criminal records + apostille
OK if issued less than 3M ago (at the time your file it at the ministry of Interior)

Medical Certificate from Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh
OK if not expired (3M)

Certified copy of birth certificates
OK

Then there's the documents from the MoFA (above) and the documents for your Cambodian partner which are usually easy to obtain.
The "Confirmation that i am single from my country" is normally valid 6 months in my country, does it have to be also not older than 3 months in cambodia?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes! Your countrys document validity doesn't mean jackshit here...all your documents must be no older than 3 months at the time they are received by the MoI, so ideally they shouldn't be any older than 2 months when you submit them to the MoFAIC.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

^confirmed
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 pm Yes! Your countrys document validity doesn't mean jackshit here...all your documents must be no older than 3 months at the time they are received by the MoI, so ideally they shouldn't be any older than 2 months when you submit them to the MoFAIC.
Okay thank you for the info, really a lot of paperwork and then additional these 3 month limit.

Update of my story for everyone who may is also interested in marry a cambodian:
We contacted now an childhood-friend of the father of my girlfriend, which works as lawyer or something like that in phnom penh. It looks like he will charge 2500 USD including all fees and "extra fees"...with a bit luck less. Seems like i get it all done for this amount with something like a guarantee that everything work out well.

Also the family of my girlfriend offered me to build a house on their ground (on the free space beneath their family house). They can do it for only 5000 USD (1 Floor).

Cause of that we decided to first do the paperwork, then build the house and celebrate the wedding later. The wedding will cost arround 8.000 USD for 400 people, i was going the cost with her through and think 12.000 USD would be better for this amount of guests. The biggest position in this list is the "catering", drinks we will offer by our own and the food will be served. You pay per table and on each table are seated 10 persons. In my 8.000 USD caluclation each table has 100 USD "budget". You set this limit before with the "catering/restaurant".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

kerberus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 pm Yes! Your countrys document validity doesn't mean jackshit here...all your documents must be no older than 3 months at the time they are received by the MoI, so ideally they shouldn't be any older than 2 months when you submit them to the MoFAIC.
Okay thank you for the info, really a lot of paperwork and then additional these 3 month limit.

Update of my story for everyone who may is also interested in marry a cambodian:
We contacted now an childhood-friend of the father of my girlfriend, which works as lawyer or something like that in phnom penh. It looks like he will charge 2500 USD including all fees and "extra fees"...with a bit luck less. Seems like i get it all done for this amount with something like a guarantee that everything work out well.

Also the family of my girlfriend offered me to build a house on their ground (on the free space beneath their family house). They can do it for only 5000 USD (1 Floor).

Cause of that we decided to first do the paperwork, then build the house and celebrate the wedding later. The wedding will cost arround 8.000 USD for 400 people, i was going the cost with her through and think 12.000 USD would be better for this amount of guests. The biggest position in this list is the "catering", drinks we will offer by our own and the food will be served. You pay per table and on each table are seated 10 persons. In my 8.000 USD caluclation each table has 100 USD "budget". You set this limit before with the "catering/restaurant".
You obviously have plenty of money to burn, good luck with getting 40 tables of people to turn up to some barang getting married. Are you a movie star?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic