34yo Brit, SAM ROWE, Found Dead in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: 34yo Brit, SAM ROWE, Found Dead in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

ofparadise wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:20 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 am It looks like Sam Rowe's family is having difficulty getting him cremated:

My brother o.d.ed And died yesterday. This was in siem reap they said 600 dollars to bring him there and to be cremated. Anyway bi paid 500 and they said I could wait here.

Next day they said I had to go to pp. Anyway I'm here now. They said I need a letter from the embassy that costs 1700 . Rang the embassy they said no. That shouldn't cost that at all.

When I did the police report I had my name and finger prints on all the forms. If I cross the boarder would there be a problem?

If I leave him there will they cremate him . I already payed 500 for what I thought would be that service.

I'm just thinking of leaving him there ? Any advice?

Added up that would be 2200 dollars that seems abit extreme!!!!!

With this kind of a family, no wonder the guy had issues. For f. sake, $2,200 is less than your airfare + lodging. His body and final rites is not an auction for the lowest bidder.

The question was not even an appeal for help raising funds... but for financial decision making. If you don't have the money, talk to a charity organisation for help with the funeral.

There are many organisations back in the UK and even religious organisations that would happily help to raise funds.

Do something... if not you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Don't just walk away. This is your duty. Cry, beg, steal... get it done.

Don't abandon him until you've exhausted everything.

If you still can't raise the funds, stay for his cremation and see him through.
People treat deaths differently, I wouldn't jump to conclusions over 1 social media post.

Some people see a body as just that, a body.

Personally when I'm done just throw me in the trash.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Must be a terrible thing to have your brother die on you like that in Cambodia. I think the brother was reeling from the shock the day after his brother died when he posted that message on social media - seems like he was alone here in Cambodia and dealing with everything, people were asking for money, and he didn't know what he was supposed to do. But he was asking for advice, not cash. Then the family stepped in to help, so good for them.
Very touching and dignified video. RIP Sam and condolences to his family.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

i understand that, if the brother did not try to get his body released from the start. The hard bit, was the cost played a factor in the decision, not a personal view - of - life.

Aslo, I have a personal view on the matter as I had to witness my mother jump through hoops to get my father's body back 22 years back. (he died on a foreign land as well) ... it was not easy and very expensive, but it was the best decision she made.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

From the video it sounds like his father has now lost two sons. I can't begin to imagine what he's going through. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

I would hate my family to spend thousands doing anything with my corpse once I'm gone.
Simone1983
Expatriate
France

Post by Simone1983 »

I also have 11 photos of his body which I will upload to the Darknet section once I get access.

ImageImageImage
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

just my point of view Simone - but i reckon your are crossing the boundaries and are disrespecting the dead.

Family members read these threads.

Maybe post 20 times about something not related to your fixation with corpses and body parts - and save that for the dark side.

(again, just my point of view)
Simone1983
Expatriate
France

Post by Simone1983 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm just my point of view Simone - but i reckon your are crossing the boundaries and are disrespecting the dead.

Family members read these threads.

Maybe post 20 times about something not related to your fixation with corpses and body parts - and save that for the dark side.

(again, just my point of view)
I'm not sure why it's ok for others to do so but I can't. The images I'm posting here are the same type everyone else is (passport, antemortems).
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Simone1983 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm The images I'm posting here are the same type everyone else is (passport, antemortems).
No, the posted passport was a censored version with the passport number removed. You have posted an uncensored immigration card. For what reasons?

Also you have revived a dead thread long after it's stopped being interesting just to bring back the same things that were already written in the Khmer press which you are not linking to.

Are you seriously going to make a forum career posting this inane garbage, or are you only doing it to reach 20 posts? You don't come across as wanting to discuss something.
Simone1983
Expatriate
France

Post by Simone1983 »

fax wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:37 pm
Simone1983 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm The images I'm posting here are the same type everyone else is (passport, antemortems).
No, the posted passport was a censored version with the passport number removed. You have posted an uncensored immigration card. For what reasons?

Also you have revived a dead thread long after it's stopped being interesting just to bring back the same things that were already written in the Khmer press which you are not linking to.

Are you seriously going to make a forum career posting this inane garbage, or are you only doing it to reach 20 posts? You don't come across as wanting to discuss something.
No, I'm not here to discuss anything, I'm here to post photos for those who want to see them. I've had a warm welcome from the admin + a mod, who are more than happy that I have plenty of images to share. Shame that the members aren't too nice. As soon as I can access the Darknet section, I won't be posting in this part. I suggest that you + the other hypocrites don't browse that part of the site as you don't want more things to whinge about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic