Legal connect wanted to purchase Cambodian citizenship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kryoyogi
Tourist
Cambodia

Legal connect wanted to purchase Cambodian citizenship

Post by kryoyogi »

need to find a good legal contact that can help me obtain Cambodian citizenship. Thanks! Jay +1 714 605 6866 (WhatsApp) . I will be in Cambodia from the 6th-18th of July.

Also if anyone knows of any land or retreats for sale or partnership in the bokor or sen monorom areas (or any other regions between 400-800m as I prefer a little cooler)? Would love to make an off'grid permaculture community like I have helped found at terrafrutis.com and fruithavenecovillage.com.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Legal connect wanted to purchase citizenship

Post by Element6 »

the good contacts work on personal recommendations as the process is somewhat 'grey' in terms of legitimacy. As people here probably dont know you it is unlikely they would vouch for you with their values connections.

There are people who do it on a more commercial basis (sorry I dont know any I just heard about it) but I have heard of people not getting what they paid for going this route.

if you are serious about this it is unlikely you can organize it in a 12 day visit without getting ripped off. The process is quite onerous in terms of paperwork and you need to prove ongoing residency in Cambodia over an extended time period to qualify
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Legal connect wanted to purchase citizenship

Post by bittermelon »

There was a thread that discussed buying citizenship a while back but I can't find it. As I recall it wasn't cheap- 100k+ I think, but even with the money not a sure thing.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Legal connect wanted to purchase Cambodian citizenship

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry. It is not possible to fly into Cambodia and buy citizenship.
It simply does not work that way in this country.
It is extremely difficult, it takes a very long time.
Very very few westerners achieve it.
If you think you can rent a fixer to corruptly help you achieve this you are wrong, you will be ripped off.

If you have not been to cambodia before, why do you want to fly in and buy citizenship?
With due respect, this seems very naive - and very very arrogant.
Your fruitarian project should probably be based on ethical principles.
Subverting the country's sovereignty by corruptly buying citizenship is a strange way to do that.

PS, why did you start two threads on this?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sorry if I sound too neg.
Just helping you with a few realities.
So one more caution, about your other enquiry, buying land.
As I said on your other thread, land titling is the most fraught and contested aspect in Cambodian society today.
Even the rich get diddled on their deeds. Be careful.

One of the big issues is the stealing of poor peoples land, and state land, by the power elite. Facilitated by relevant officials at every level.
You will almost certainly get offers of land with very dubious ethical history - up to you if you want to be party to this, but you might want to undertake rigorous research on any land's moral provenance.

Talking to you as a yogi, Kryoyogi.
Keep us posted.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Probably more practical in your home country unless you literally have millions to gamble.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Hey, maybe he's Chinese and he just wants to go with the flow?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

If you want to take a million out of Cambodia you must bring two.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kryoyogi wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:45 am need to find a good legal contact that can help me obtain Cambodian citizenship. Thanks! Jay +1 714 605 6866 (WhatsApp) . I will be in Cambodia from the 6th-18th of July.

Also if anyone knows of any land or retreats for sale or partnership in the bokor or sen monorom areas (or any other regions between 400-800m as I prefer a little cooler)? Would love to make an off'grid permaculture community like I have helped found at terrafrutis.com and fruithavenecovillage.com.
Just forget you can arrange this in 8 days time.

And about obtaining citizenship, currently there's only one legal way [edit: for ordinary people]: living here for an extended period, learning the language and the culture, and apply after an extended stay. There are more shady ways to obtain it (I was offered it for 8k USD eight years ago, count on 5-10x that price these days) , but those are illegal and you might become the victim of a future crackdown, just like a few thousand Vietnamese last year.
Last edited by Kammekor on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Unless he’s investor class. But then he would already have the deep connections needed and not be asking advice from CEO.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic