Thalassemia in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thalassemia in Cambodia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:37 am There's not a 50% prevalence of Thalassemia among Cambodian women.
Both men and women get it.

Here is a quote from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27117566
"The molecular basis of thalassemia in Cambodia was performed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based techniques in a community-based cross-sectional survey of 1631 unrelated individuals from three regions, Battambang, Preah Vihear and Phnom Penh. Thalassemia mutations were detected in 62.7% of the three studied population of Cambodia."
In this study, Thalassemia mutations were detected in 62.7% of these people.

There are many different combinations of genes that can be affected, and many different variations of Thalassemia.

1. Some people may be carriers, and not have obvious symptoms.

2. Some people may have symptoms, but be able to live without blood transfusions.

3. Some people may require blood transfusions to stay alive.

4. With very severe conditions, the fetus dies before birth, resulting in a miscarriage.

If a person carrying Thalassemia, even if they are not sick, marries another person with Thalassemia, their children may inherit genes from both parents, and have a severe form of Thalassemia. I would not want to pass something like that on to my descendants.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If there’s a change in the molecule, as reported in the study, then it’s a case of Hemoglobinopathy and not thalassemia.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am If there’s a change in the molecule, as reported in the study, then it’s a case of Hemoglobinopathy and not thalassemia.
But thalassemia is a hemoglobinopathy!

What is the difference between hemoglobinopathy and thalassemia?
"Hemoglobinopathy is a disored in which hemoglobin, the main protein in red blood cells ( think of them as little bags of hemoglobin), is abnormal. For instance sickle hemoglobins form insoluble crystals, which make the red cell too stiff to get through the capillaries, while others abnormal hemoglobins might hold onto oxygen too tightly. Thallasemias are also hemoglobinopathies but due to unbalanced production of the alpha & beta chains - usually there are 2 alpha chains & 2 beta chains in adult hemoglobin. In hgb H disease, one of the thallasemias, 3 of the 4 alpha chain genes are missing, so you get hgb with just beta chains, which show up under the microscope as tiny “inclusion bodies” in the red cell. Thallasemias also produce smaller red cells, so called microcytes, which have a low MCV or Mean Cell Volume. Long answer to a short question - most hematologists would include thallasemias as hemoglobinopathies."

Bruce Ritchie, MD Medicine and Healthcare & Hematology, University of Alberta (1978)
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Thalassemia is also common amongst Maori, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in northern Western Australia and the Northern Territory. I believe if the OP were to hypothetically marry into these communities would be at risk of passing this condition on to his imaginary descendants. Further, if he were to hypothetically marry n Australian of Lebanese descent, his imaginary descendants would also be at greater risk than if he married an Australian of Inuit or Lapland descent. Personally, I require any woman I date to submit to a full DNA sampling to find out if they have a genetic risk for certain disease. 23andMe has helped me cut through the chafe and focus on the rice so to speak.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:18 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am If there’s a change in the molecule, as reported in the study, then it’s a case of Hemoglobinopathy and not thalassemia.
But thalassemia is a hemoglobinopathy!

What is the difference between hemoglobinopathy and thalassemia?
"Hemoglobinopathy is a disored in which hemoglobin, the main protein in red blood cells ( think of them as little bags of hemoglobin), is abnormal. For instance sickle hemoglobins form insoluble crystals, which make the red cell too stiff to get through the capillaries, while others abnormal hemoglobins might hold onto oxygen too tightly. Thallasemias are also hemoglobinopathies but due to unbalanced production of the alpha & beta chains - usually there are 2 alpha chains & 2 beta chains in adult hemoglobin. In hgb H disease, one of the thallasemias, 3 of the 4 alpha chain genes are missing, so you get hgb with just beta chains, which show up under the microscope as tiny “inclusion bodies” in the red cell. Thallasemias also produce smaller red cells, so called microcytes, which have a low MCV or Mean Cell Volume. Long answer to a short question - most hematologists would include thallasemias as hemoglobinopathies."

Bruce Ritchie, MD Medicine and Healthcare & Hematology, University of Alberta (1978)
A Rolls Royce is a car, But not every car is a Rolls Royce.
If you are diagnosed with Hemoglobinopathy (Which is quite common although the Numbers in the article @explorer are very high) that doesn’t mean you are diagnosed with Thallasemia.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27117566
Thalassemia mutations were detected in 62.7% of the three studied population of Cambodia."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:27 pm I require any woman I date to submit to a full DNA sampling to find out if they have a genetic risk for certain disease. 23andMe has helped me cut through the chafe and focus on the rice so to speak.
Also be prepared to do it yourself. Sometimes it may be the man who is at risk of genetic diseases.

Then if either of you have anything of concern, discuss the best approach in light of the new information.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:27 pm I require any woman I date to submit to a full DNA sampling to find out if they have a genetic risk for certain disease. 23andMe has helped me cut through the chafe and focus on the rice so to speak.
Also be prepared to do it yourself. Sometimes it may be the man who is at risk of genetic diseases.

Then if either of you have anything of concern, discuss the best approach in light of the new information.
Absolutely not, I am a Luddite and thus religiously opposed to such testing. However, I am a Reform Luddite (often called Hypocritical Luddite) and as such am allowed to require others to do what I can not in good conscious do myself. Have you been tested for Thalassemia or is this hypothetical union that produces unhealthy children you are concerned about simply a pie in the sky type of thing? If simply hypothetical may I suggest a thread concerning the cost of a carburettor replacement on a 1953 Rolls Royce Silver Dawn. That was the year that Rolls Royce replaced the Stromberg carburettor with the Zenith model Dbvc42 and I think most forum members will find them very difficult to find in Cambodia and also they will pay more than the fair market value of 350 pounds sterling. I believe all forum members should be warned of this little known but costly replacement part.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic