The Olympia Mall in Phnom Penh Opened Today

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Olympia Mall in Phnom Penh Opened Today

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:44 am
cptrelentless wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm ok, i admit i am not a mall goer and when i visit PP, only go to Aeon 1 cause the gf an sisters like to bowl,
BUT i see its usually empty
what with all these new malls going up and the customer base not really growing by leaps and bounds, seems each gets a smaller piece of the small pie.
Is it just a money laundering operation?
Aeon 2 during the weekday is a total ghost town. There was about three other people in the whole place when I was there.
I don't really know what time you guys go in malls (weekday mornings?) but visitor numbers are up in both Aeon malls. Also business is getting better each year. This is mainly because more suitable shops have opened as well as more restaurants and entertainment facilities have opened.
I don't know, since AEON 1 opened so many shop originally there have closed, and others have opened, some units are non functional 'under construction'. With the insane rents there it must be very hard to make a profit.

Yesterday I was at AEON 2 between 10-12 and it wasn't packed. The Makro had more (spending) customers than AEON 2, that one seems to be a success.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

From the times I've been, I agree both malls are pretty quiet daytime . Although come 3.30-4pm you get a lot of students and freshie boys with their love interests. And sundays and public holidays are busy with whole families.

Reminds me of some of those giant malls in Bangkok and Manila where the locals hang out in the aircon to get away from the oppressive heat.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm ok, i admit i am not a mall goer and when i visit PP, only go to Aeon 1 cause the gf an sisters like to bowl,
what with all these new malls going up and the customer base not really growing by leaps and bounds, seems each gets a smaller piece of the small pie.
Aeon 2 during the weekday is a total ghost town. There was about three other people in the whole place when I was there.
I don't really know what time you guys go in malls (weekday mornings?) but visitor numbers are up in both Aeon malls. Also business is getting better each year. This is mainly because more suitable shops have opened as well as more restaurants and entertainment facilities have opened.
I don't know, since AEON 1 opened so many shop originally there have closed, and others have opened, some units are non functional 'under construction'. With the insane rents there it must be very hard to make a profit.

Yesterday I was at AEON 2 between 10-12 and it wasn't packed. The Makro had more (spending) customers than AEON 2, that one seems to be a success.
Yep, like I said many of the shops originally opened have closed and more suitable/cheaper brands/shops opened up. Especially at Aeon 2 the shops that are there are far more suitable for local buyers than the shops at Aeon 1 in 2014.
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am
OK, i assume weekends are busy, BUT how many of those many people you all see are actually BUYING<
not just walking aorund an maybe grabbing a meal, using the supermarket or visiting the movie/bowling?
Yes, entertainment and restaurants are the ones making best business at malls. But that is not just in Cambodia, that how it has changed all over the world. But like I said, the business in all shops is better each year because 1) more suitable shops opened for locals (for example Padini in Aeon that sell cheaper clothes) 2) locals have more money to spend and are more into shopping
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Yep, like I said many of the shops originally opened have closed and more suitable/cheaper brands/shops opened up. Especially at Aeon 2 the shops that are there are far more suitable for local buyers than the shops at Aeon 1 in 2014.
OK, i assume weekends are busy, BUT how many of those many people you all see are actually BUYING<
not just walking aorund an maybe grabbing a meal, using the supermarket or visiting the movie/bowling?
Yes, entertainment and restaurants are the ones making best business at malls. But that is not just in Cambodia, that how it has changed all over the world. But like I said, the business in all shops is better each year because 1) more suitable shops opened for locals (for example Padini in Aeon that sell cheaper clothes) 2) locals have more money to spend and are more into shopping

Friday afternoon rush at Sovanna Mall

ImageImageImage
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sovanna has been in decline for years, it's like a ghost town above the ground floor, other than the cinema. I was in Sorya on Tuesday around midday and it was pretty quiet, some of the units upstairs look closed down. Yesterday (Thursday) I was in Aeon 1 around midday and it looked busy.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
side
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by side »

Ah, anecdotal armchair evidence, always a winner in any online discussion. "I went to the mall last week and it was kinda empty".

Fact is the PP Aeons are some of the highest revenue malls they have in their portfolio. I understand a number 3 is in planning. The malls make their money from *checks notes*...shop space rentals, primarily. Are all, or nearly all the shop spaces rented out? Yes, yes they are. So, all dandy.

On a related note, who is smarter? The multi millionaire property developer or you, Anecdotal Armchair Andy, sitting at home pullin' yer pud for the third time today in your one room bedsit reminiscing about the days when you could actually afford underwear?
Me, not that other crap.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

side wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:15 pm

On a related note, who is smarter? The multi millionaire property developer or you, Anecdotal Armchair Andy, sitting at home pullin' yer pud for the third time today in your one room bedsit reminiscing about the days when you could actually afford underwear?
Sorry, to whom are you reffering?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Nixon wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Friday afternoon rush at Sovanna Mall

ImageImageImage
Like John said, Sovanna has been in decline for years and they just announced it will be closed later this year for renovations. It might get bit more lively after the renovation but I doubt it will be super busy ever as it's badly managed (same company is behind Sorya Center Point and the new Olympia mall by the way). Sovanna will have trouble in future once one of the Chip Mong Malls opens few km away from it.

But go tonight to Sovanna and you see there are people going movies and shopping at Lucky. Not as dead as in your pics.
side
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by side »

Nixon wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 pm
side wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Sorry, to whom are you reffering?
Anecdotal Armchair Andy. As above.
Me, not that other crap.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I went to Olympia Mall today. The pedestrian bridges are good. If you are coming from the east, you can get out of your taxi opposite the Mall, ride up an escalator (by the gas station) to the bridge and walk in. The Mall is smart. Not that many shops, one floor is all gaming, two are nearly all for eating. The food court on level 5 is impressive, with classy chairs and tables. Lucky on level 1 is not yet open so no food shop yet. The posh shops on level 2 had few customers. Plenty of students wandering around, in the cafes and the gaming places. There is a kid city place but not as good as the one at Exchange Square. There is a 5 storey single flight escalator that was fun to ride.
There are zillions of condos in the surrounding buildings, not many occupied so far.
Overall looks similar to the Aeons, smaller in terms of retail space but then there are all the condos.
In business terms, they seem to have decided that the customer demand is for services (food and gaming) rather than goods.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic