(Another) visa question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2733
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 654
New Zealand

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 am

cautious colin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 am
Is it still possible to get a 3 month EB extension without a letter of employment?

If not, is it possible to switch from an EB to an EG for one renewal (I will be leaving the country after the 3 month extension so I don't need to extend again)

Thanks :thumb:
In order to apply for a 1 or mth EB EOS you require a Work Permit and letter of employment.

You cannot switch from an EB to an EG.

Assuming you are currently on a multi-entry EB yea? If so, then you'll need to leave the country when it expires and return on a new E-type Visa, then you can apply for a 3 mth EG EOS.
User avatar
cautious colin
Expatriate
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am
Reputation: 130
Great Britain

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by cautious colin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:30 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 am
cautious colin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 am
Is it still possible to get a 3 month EB extension without a letter of employment?

If not, is it possible to switch from an EB to an EG for one renewal (I will be leaving the country after the 3 month extension so I don't need to extend again)

Thanks :thumb:
In order to apply for a 1 or mth EB EOS you require a Work Permit and letter of employment.

You cannot switch from an EB to an EG.

Assuming you are currently on a multi-entry EB yea? If so, then you'll need to leave the country when it expires and return on a new E-type Visa, then you can apply for a 3 mth EG EOS.
Ah, Ok It thought that may be the case, looks like a trip to Saigon then.

One more question. Will it cause problems if I try to get a Tourist visa whilst I still have a few days left on my EB extension? e.g. go to Vietnam for my new Visa Saturday when my EB runs out the following Wednesday?
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2733
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 654
New Zealand

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes it will most likely be an issue. Since you will still have a valid MEEV EOS, they will not issue you a new Visa.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 pm
Reputation: 91
Turkmenistan

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by khmerhamster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Yes it will most likely be an issue. Since you will still have a valid MEEV EOS, they will not issue you a new Visa.
Following on from this comment...

I have a multiple entry 1 year C visa (expiring in a week) , I need to change to E type and am planning a border run.

Do I need to wait until my C visa expires before I can get my 1 month E visa at the border?

I had hoped to go a few days earlier than the expiry date as it is much more convenient.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 1556
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 466
Cambodia

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by Kammekor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:50 am

khmerhamster wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Yes it will most likely be an issue. Since you will still have a valid MEEV EOS, they will not issue you a new Visa.
Following on from this comment...

I have a multiple entry 1 year C visa (expiring in a week) , I need to change to E type and am planning a border run.

Do I need to wait until my C visa expires before I can get my 1 month E visa at the border?

I had hoped to go a few days earlier than the expiry date as it is much more convenient.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
It depends on your luck.

I once did it, by accident. Was on a NGO visa and did a run to Bangkok and got an ordinary visa when I got back. Only later did I find out my NGO visa was still valid. But this was in 2011. They might take a closer look now. At that time I just presented an empty page at the visa desk, and the new visa at the passport counter. But I guess I was lucky.

If they find out they will refuse you a new visa and you will have to another run a few days later.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 pm
Reputation: 91
Turkmenistan

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by khmerhamster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:18 am

Kammekor wrote:
khmerhamster wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote:Yes it will most likely be an issue. Since you will still have a valid MEEV EOS, they will not issue you a new Visa.
Following on from this comment...

I have a multiple entry 1 year C visa (expiring in a week) , I need to change to E type and am planning a border run.

Do I need to wait until my C visa expires before I can get my 1 month E visa at the border?

I had hoped to go a few days earlier than the expiry date as it is much more convenient.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
It depends on your luck.

I once did it, by accident. Was on a NGO visa and did a run to Bangkok and got an ordinary visa when I got back. Only later did I find out my NGO visa was still valid. But this was in 2011. They might take a closer look now. At that time I just presented an empty page at the visa desk, and the new visa at the passport counter. But I guess I was lucky.

If they find out they will refuse you a new visa and you will have to another run a few days later.
OK, gotcha. I'd feel fairly confident on my ability to talk my way though the situation, but that requires a bit of luck and a friendly official.
Prob not worth the risk of a wasted day.

Cheers

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kammekor and 138 guests