Cost of Living Now and Down the Road

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Re: Cost of Living Now and Down the Road

Post by SINUS »

tcw57 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Sinus, thank you much, very kind of you. I will give it a try!
always welcome! :)
Hawaiian
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Hawaiian »

tcw57 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 pm I'd be very wary about moving here on $1300/month for two. Sure, it's doable and likely more comfortable than living off the same in a western country, but it's far from a lavish lifestyle. If you have money set aside for emergencies (medical/travel/etc) the it might be alright.
Was paying $150/mo for a room apartment in newly constructed building on 2nd floor. Now it costs $170/mo over in OP-2 area not far from Build Right Univ. I've no complaints about the room except frequent electrical outages. Was going to obtain automobile batteries, an auto inverter for my electrical needs, and this would provide electricity during those shortages. Wi-Fi is from the mobile phone plugged into the laptop. A motobike to the Golden Lions is 5,000 unless you have your own. These are costs in Sihanoukville.

Only concern now is obtaining another Business Visa, as the flood of Chinese has made things more difficult or expensive.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Hawaiian wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50 pm
tcw57 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 pm I'd be very wary about moving here on $1300/month for two. Sure, it's doable and likely more comfortable than living off the same in a western country, but it's far from a lavish lifestyle. If you have money set aside for emergencies (medical/travel/etc) the it might be alright.
Was paying $150/mo for a room apartment in newly constructed building on 2nd floor. Now it costs $170/mo over in OP-2 area not far from Build Right Univ. I've no complaints about the room except frequent electrical outages. Was going to obtain automobile batteries, an auto inverter for my electrical needs, and this would provide electricity during those shortages. Wi-Fi is from the mobile phone plugged into the laptop. A motobike to the Golden Lions is 5,000 unless you have your own. These are costs in Sihanoukville.

Only concern now is obtaining another Business Visa, as the flood of Chinese has made things more difficult or expensive.
Just curious. Given how much of a shithole SHV has become, why are you there ?
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

I'd be very wary about moving here on $1300/month for two. Sure, it's doable and likely more comfortable than living off the same in a western country, but it's far from a lavish lifestyle. If you have money set aside for emergencies (medical/travel/etc) the it might be alright.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Probably won't opt for SHV, but good to know ( a little bit ) about how the Chinese influx is changing prices there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic