Sending Uk pounds from Uk account to Cambodian bank account.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sending Uk pounds from Uk account to Cambodian bank account.

Post by armchairlawyer »

Marcus-Darkus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:51 pm I'm leaving Cambodia in one month and have around $6,000 to change into GBP. I have a UK bank account and a ABA account here.

It seems all the replies are sending money from UK to Cambodia on this thread. Can anyone give any advice or had experiences sending money back home?

I seriously thought about changing it all up near Central Market as the rates are excellent when I changed $500/$1000...A friend told me that UK banks are very strict proving where you got your money from though. They are unaware I've lived in Cambodia for 3 years too.

If I transfered it with transferwise, would alarm bells ring when it hits my UK account, as it would show the sender is from a 3rd world corrupt country?

Any tips would be greatly helpful.
I would say that a bank transfer from Cambodia may be regarded in the UK as suspicious but once they have asked you some questions, they would probably be OK with it, especially as the amount is not big. You would be on record for the future but if you don't do anything similar again, that wouldn't matter.You never know with these things, however. I'm assuming your funds are legit but even so it could be difficult to prove that, if the UK bank took a hard line.
Similarly, depositing cash in the UK would likely provoke some questions.
Why not just keep it in cash in the UK? Better still, change a chunk in PP and then keep most of it in USD until you need the money (or until the USD starts to go down) and then change it bit by bit at FX bureaux that give a good rate in the UK.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

ABA Bank are accepting SWIFT inward (& outbound) payments with "ZERO inward fee" https://www.ababank.com/en/aba-news/zer ... gLt9fD_BwE

That's a new service for Cambodia isn't it? Used to be only IBAN transfers.
Marcus-Darkus
Expatriate

Post by Marcus-Darkus »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:19 pm
Marcus-Darkus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:51 pm I'm leaving Cambodia in one month and have around $6,000 to change into GBP. I have a UK bank account and a ABA account here.

It seems all the replies are sending money from UK to Cambodia on this thread. Can anyone give any advice or had experiences sending money back home?

I seriously thought about changing it all up near Central Market as the rates are excellent when I changed $500/$1000...A friend told me that UK banks are very strict proving where you got your money from though. They are unaware I've lived in Cambodia for 3 years too.

If I transfered it with transferwise, would alarm bells ring when it hits my UK account, as it would show the sender is from a 3rd world corrupt country?

Any tips would be greatly helpful.
I would say that a bank transfer from Cambodia may be regarded in the UK as suspicious but once they have asked you some questions, they would probably be OK with it, especially as the amount is not big. You would be on record for the future but if you don't do anything similar again, that wouldn't matter.You never know with these things, however. I'm assuming your funds are legit but even so it could be difficult to prove that, if the UK bank took a hard line.
Similarly, depositing cash in the UK would likely provoke some questions.
Why not just keep it in cash in the UK? Better still, change a chunk in PP and then keep most of it in USD until you need the money (or until the USD starts to go down) and then change it bit by bit at FX bureaux that give a good rate in the UK.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

The funds are legit and I have contracts and pay slips to prove it to the bank if need be.

I will change the money up in Phnom Penh as I also remembered my UK mobile number linked to my bank account has deactivated, even though I was topping it up. I'd imagine they would call me regarding a bank transfer from Cambodia.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Rama wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:35 pm ABA Bank are accepting SWIFT inward (& outbound) payments with "ZERO inward fee" https://www.ababank.com/en/aba-news/zer ... gLt9fD_BwE

That's a new service for Cambodia isn't it? Used to be only IBAN transfers.
I used this lately! From the Halifax the sending fee was free too. The changers on route for the zero inward fee for some reason didn't apply, so ended up with a crap exchange rate and hit with a £50 fee by ABA on $12,000.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic