Building a road in the KOW

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Or ... Cambodia you make me laugh

Village built a new road from the proposed new Chinese factory site to the National Road.

Plan was approved from the Sangkat/Commune. A portion of all private properties on the road have been given up to build drainage tunnel and for road construction.

No compensation issued to the property owners. It is for the good of the village, of course.

And the kicker. All property owners on the road have been assessed road and drainage construction fees.

Older sister was the last hold out in paying the fee. She was forced to pay $400 as her share.

Of course the former village chief and the current village chief both have land on the new road. The former now works at the Commune office and the current has family working at the Commune.

No corruption or nepotism at all.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Building a road in the KOW

Post by AndyKK »

^
It's just a little of the sketchy side that description of exactly what is happening newkidontheblock, drawing a plan may help.
I read it as the village built a new road for the Chinese factory. Would that not be in the plans of the Chinese building there own factory.
Also I thought it was the Chinese whom were repairing and building new roads around the country.

A portion of all private properties on the road have been given up to build drainage tunnel and for road construction. That part is easy to explain, I understand it's the same has rivers, that land next to the road for however meters they don't own. That then makes you think if they don't own it, why are they paying for the work and drainage.

it should be good for the village due to the work the factory will produce, they need workers, your sister in law deserves to be at the front of the que.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Building a road in the KOW

Post by cptrelentless »

If there's drainage and whatnot then it's quite a big road. They guy from the commune wanted $30 for driving a bulldozer up and down the street next to my house, snapping my power cable. He did not pursue the debt with any vigour. A year later the only difference was my cable now goes over a taller tree.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic