how to deal with the cheating

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: how to deal with the cheating

Post by angkorjohn2 »

You soon pick up the average prices per KG of most staples if you go enoughm chicken, beef, pork, certain fruit and veg etc. and yes you just walk away if someone starts to piss around. I have my usual chicken lady in Kandal and one day her son was operating it and tried charging me double I questioned it and said they usual price, mum arrived back and hear his scam and belted him around the face and apologised. I find if you are speaking Khmer and just buying most khmers wouldn't think to ramp up the price. Only the younger ones ever tried it.

You can also say "Kom boak knyom" - literally don't cheat me.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

In NYC the police did a sting with Asian officers getting taxis at JFK and pretending to be Chinese tourists. Over 90% of the taxis charged more than the allowed fare into Manhattan with one taxi driver demanding $400 from the cop for his ride. Screwing foreigners is not something that happens in KOW or LOS, it is just that we are the foreigners now. If you had your bananas and you had paid why not just walk away as another poster had suggested?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Nixon wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:02 pm I was in desperate need for size 46 shoes when I first arrived. Not that easy to haggle as next to no one is selling larger sizes than 44. After getting pissed off at a woman trying to sell these crappy plastic size 46 shoes for $30 I had to go to a real shoe store. Sure, paid more but at least I got a decent product.
Beautiful Shoes on st 143 will make you a pair bespoke. Great quality. And a trustworthy shop.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

curiosity wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:04 am how do you play the haggling game correctly?
So, as you already know you shop wherever possible at places where you are known and liked and there is no need to haggle (except when subs are in place).
If you need to buy something at a place new to you:
Consider buying it at a good superstore such as Thai Huot or Aeon or Makro (if possible).
If you have to haggle at a stall or small shop:
First, try to find out the correct price. Then ask the seller for her price. Whatever she replies, counteroffer the correct price and stick to it until she relents, keep smiling throughout. If you enjoy the experience you can let her have 10% too much.
If you don't know the correct price it is more difficult. Sellers fall into two distinct groups on pricing, ime. Some overprice to such an extent you need to reckon to pay 40% of their first price. The others are only 10% over the correct price. Hopefully you have enough idea of the correct price that you can figure out which you are dealing with and act accordingly. Again, keep smiling. If a price does not get agreed, there should be no bad feeling although the seller will not be exactly happy of course. This is subject to one major caveat and that leads me to the final guideline.
Don't go haggling early in the trading day. Khmer (actually also Thai, Chinese) sellers are superstitious about the first encounter of the day. If it does not end in a sale she will regard it as having jinxed her entire day and is likely to get angry with you as a result.
Hope this all helps.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The above is more applicable to buying non-food items btw.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I like my small oranges, and for quite a while I was buying from one of the stalls in the old market east side. Same price, whichever one of the several stalls. Then one day, as other stories above, one of the stalls was run by someone else that I didn’t recognise. New barang price was double, and all of a sudden all those small stalls were trying to charge me double, including the first old girl who I was originally buying from.
New price, new price. And also more expensive than at Sorya, by 1000r. New new price as I walked away came down, but no thanks. As I tend to buy 2-3 times a week, and a lot of other fruit, too, they screwed themselves. Maybe they don’t care, I don’t.
If there was a bit of cheeky banter and good humour, then I might have thought differently. But the one who instigated it was plain rude, with it.

So now we buy from the west side of the market, same as the old price, and mostly herself does the buying now because she gets embarrassed when I shout the chancers down.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

it is worth noting however that some things are more seasonal - e.g. ripe mangos with a bumper crop can be less than 1000riel a kilo, Avocados can be $2 per KG and then $3.5+ per Kilo at certain stalls, same with many other fruits and veg. also this African Swine Flu may push up pork prices so always worth bearing in mind when the price suddenly seems to jump.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:50 pm
Nixon wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:02 pm I was in desperate need for size 46 shoes when I first arrived. Not that easy to haggle as next to no one is selling larger sizes than 44. After getting pissed off at a woman trying to sell these crappy plastic size 46 shoes for $30 I had to go to a real shoe store. Sure, paid more but at least I got a decent product.
Beautiful Shoes on st 143 will make you a pair bespoke. Great quality. And a trustworthy shop.
I might need new ones too. How much would a pair roughly go for?
Where exactly is that shop?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

yongchi wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:07 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:50 pm
I might need new ones too. How much would a pair roughly go for?
Where exactly is that shop?
the corner of 143/350 (toul sleng side)- $30-$40 (a little higher for some ladies shoes)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I also buy lovely soft leather belts from Beautiful Shoes ($20) and my wallet came from there. It's a gem of a shop.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic