curious

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nolan.tomlinson
Tourist
United States of America

curious

Post by nolan.tomlinson »

In a couple of places I have been seeing the chinese are flooding the country. Are they messing things up for others across the country, in a few concentrated areas or really not at all. If they are too big an issue I may have to rethink my relocation plans because I don't want to move someplace dominated by an outside country.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: curious

Post by Kammekor »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:18 am In a couple of places I have been seeing the chinese are flooding the country. Are they messing things up for others across the country, in a few concentrated areas or really not at all. If they are too big an issue I may have to rethink my relocation plans because I don't want to move someplace dominated by an outside country.
The Royal Government of Cambodia is aiming for 2 million Chinese in 2030. There are 16.5 million Cambodians.

You can meet Chinese all around the country now, but they tend to concentrate in the coastal area and Phnom Penh. But they're buying up stuff all around the country, even in the middle of nowhere.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Changed this for you;
.....You can SEE Chinese .....
The new mobile Chinese are invading SE asia, 35% of over all tourists in Thailand now are Chinese, There all over Laos an heading into Burma
Cambodia is selling out to them as the Cambodians think short term.. Chinese are playing the long game

Read," the hundred year Marathon"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:18 am In a couple of places I have been seeing the chinese are flooding the country. Are they messing things up for others across the country, in a few concentrated areas or really not at all. If they are too big an issue I may have to rethink my relocation plans because I don't want to move someplace dominated by an outside country.
Nolan, must of the nations in the world are dominated by one of the superpowers.

Canada and Mexico send at least 85 percent of their exports to the United States and approximately 60 percent of both countries' imports come from the United States.

this kind of thinking will give you a short list of USA, UK, France, China, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan as possible retirement destinations.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

I wouldn't say the population is dominated by Chinese, but I will say that in the last 4 years I've seen a significant change, some for the better and some for worse. A lot small local businesses are beginning to struggle, food prices have gone up noticeably, lots more cars on the road, and of course a lot more Chinese stores but the quality of goods is improved, more availability of various products (at least compared to 10 years ago), and the roads (okay, just the one in front of my house, haha) is newly paved so people can crash a lot faster than they used to.

Thing is though, I think I notice the Chinese here a lot more than "home" because the ones here don't seem to integrate in the least bit. Chinese at "home" speak English, Chinese here (at least the ones I've done business with) speak ZERO Khmer. The only way I've been able to communicate with Chinese clients so far is in Mandarin.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

nolan.tomlinson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:18 am In a couple of places I have been seeing the chinese are flooding the country. Are they messing things up for others across the country, in a few concentrated areas or really not at all. If they are too big an issue I may have to rethink my relocation plans because I don't want to move some place dominated by an outside country.
I suggest, come here, live in or near one of the smaller towns. Do it in a way that you can return home if you want to. In most of the smaller towns you rarely see Chinese.

I have mentioned before. I plan to live in Australia, and have long holidays in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

explorer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm
nolan.tomlinson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:18 am In a couple of places I have been seeing the chinese are flooding the country. Are they messing things up for others across the country, in a few concentrated areas or really not at all. If they are too big an issue I may have to rethink my relocation plans because I don't want to move some place dominated by an outside country.
I suggest, come here, live in or near one of the smaller towns. Do it in a way that you can return home if you want to. In most of the smaller towns you rarely see Chinese.

I have mentioned before. I plan to live in Australia, and have long holidays in Cambodia.
I'm starting to think the same live in Australia or New Zealand and just take long holidays at the moment I'm doing the opposite going back twice a year to seeing friends and family
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

It doesn’t matter where you go. I lived in the Pacific before coming here and the Chinese are basically running countries like Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and PNG. I haven’t been to Fiji so I can’t say anything about that but here is an interesting clip.

https://youtu.be/AGl3HxEMJhI

I few years ago I spent some time in Puerto Galera on the Philippines. Coming back there last year only to find Chinese KTV and an extreme change in the diving community. Every single diveshop in Puerto Galera offers Chinese speaking divemasters as the customers are Chinese.

I suggest Mexico if you want to avoid the Chinese
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic