New Resident wants advice on SIM and cellphone service

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Resident wants advice on SIM and cellphone service

Post by yongchi »

Suppose you are on a regular prepaid plan with Cellcard,
Onnet calls cost you 7 cents during peak hours and 5 cents during off-peak hours.
Data costs you 2.5 cents per MB
Calls to other networks cost you 8 cents per minute.

Now suppose you exchange $1 into $100 by dialing *168*100#.
At Cellcard the name for this “exchange” is Osja Xchange.
You now have $1 less regular balance and $100 more in a special pot that can only be used for onnet calla and data, but not öffnet calls.
Usage examples:
Since 1 MB data costs you 2.5 cents, the $100 amounts to a maximum of 4000 MB = 4 GB if you don’t make onnet calls.
If you talk to a friend who also has Cellcard for 10 minutes during peak hours, that’s 70 cents less in your special pot.
If you call a friend who has Metfone for 10 minutes, that’s 80 cents from your regular balance. The special pot remains untouched.

This site has an overview of Cellcard’s regular rates:

https://www.cellcard.com.kh/en/prepaid-plans/regular/
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

OK. Now I think I get it. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

watch the telcos ramp up scams
thru shit to more shit
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

It's very confusing. I still do not get it. But with Smart
(Only experience I have but the others sound the same) if you pay $1 it gives you $333 worth of credit. Weird I know, it's their way of making ppl feel like they are getting a lot. It charges a certain rate for phone calls and data from that $333 credit. I believe they do this so ppl do not see the actual costs , something like one penny for a call or one penny per MB of data used.

Out of all of Smarts plans the $5 top up is the best. It is the only one that gives you 3 free days. The $10 top up only gives you two.
Still here, in country...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 pm
paul2d wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 pm What exactly does the 1 USD to 150 USD mean? This is not immediately evident to me.
You pay $1 and get $1 worth of credit. You can dial a certain number, and that $1 becomes $150 worth of credit, and can only be used for calling people with the same phone company.
and for mobile internet. That way mobile internet becomes incredibly cheap as long as you keep your 'exchange money' filled up.

SIMS 'given away' at the airport are not allowed to use that kind of exchange programs and will always charge you the full rate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic