Smart ‘you have won’ scam?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Anyone know about a possible phone scam involving being called by someone claiming to be from Smart, saying that you have won a lot of money and to go and wait at your house for the Smart team and the local media to arrive?
They don’t ask for any fees or money up front. They ask you not to mention it to anyone as they want the presentation to be a surprise. I’m trying to work out how this can be a scam, other than just wasting your time as you wait for hours and nobody comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Smart ‘you have won’ scam?

Post by Splashback »

Maybe you're a winner! How long did you wait? Haha
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Maybe a Candid Camera set up. Keep an eye out for Allen Funt.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I received a phone call around 2 years ago saying I had won a free checkup at a nearby hospital. They asked to confirm my address and they did have the right one. I called the hospital after the call and they had of course never heard of the competition I had supposedly won.

I never worked out what they were looking for. They never contacted me again. Maybe it's a prank not a scam? No idea really but for what it's worth it was a woman speaking with good English and she claimed to be calling from Smart (which I use).
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

jah steu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 am Anyone know about a possible phone scam involving being called by someone claiming to be from Smart, saying that you have won a lot of money and to go and wait at your house for the Smart team and the local media to arrive?
They don’t ask for any fees or money up front. They ask you not to mention it to anyone as they want the presentation to be a surprise. I’m trying to work out how this can be a scam, other than just wasting your time as you wait for hours and nobody comes.

1. What number showed up on your phone? - when SMART HQ call it is usually always 888 so difficult to fake
2. DId they ask for your details or did they know who they were calling?
3. Are they inviting you to their shop and to bring I.D. or are they saying they come to your house?

As far as I'm aware, in cases of winners they will call ask to confirm it is you, have you come to the shop (if PP one of the main branches at head office) with your phone and I.D. and you will then get whatever prize it is and they take photos with the other winners at a presentation. So if a negative to any of the above 3 it may be a scam.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:56 am 1. What number showed up on your phone? - when SMART HQ call it is usually always 888 so difficult to fake
This.

I've won from smart before and they call from 888. You can go on their website and they have an instant messenger you can use to speak to someone to clarify, or go to/phone the head office on Monivong down by the Rock club.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Update: yes it was a scam. A variation on the “you’ve won a big prize but you have to send us a small amount of money first as a fee before you can collect the prize”.
It was a khmer family member so I don’t know all the details. When they initially called they didn’t mention any fees. They just told him to wait at his house in Takeo with his ID card, and to buy $20 worth of coconuts to provide refreshing coconut juice for the Smart guys when they arrived!
In a subsequent call they asked for $350 in various fees so that he could get ‘the big prize’. He didn’t pay.

jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

About a year ago, three or four of our staff were almost sucked in to another version of this scam. Nigerians sent them photos of an open box full of electronic goodies like iPhones and laptops.
The Nigerians messaged the staff telling them that they loved them and wanted to send them this big box of desirable items. After building up the tension, they would tell the staff that all they had to do was send $300 to an ‘import company’ in Phnom Penh for ‘customs clearance’.
We managed to dissuade any of the staff from sending the money, even though a couple of them were really convinced that it was a genuine deal.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two of these scammers were arrested two days ago.
newsworthy/south-african-man-nwosu-mart ... 29624.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic