American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:08 pm We used to live across from Sesame Noodle in TTP, and always left a dollar tip. For whatever reason we didn't eat there for about six weeks, and one of the regular servers met me at the door with "Bong, you always leave $1 - last time you were here, you left $10, I think maybe you make a mistake, so we kept it for you" and tried to hand it back to me. I was stunned and so naturally told them to split the tenner between them. More often than not, I find Khmer to be absolutely trustworthy and honest, more-so than many westerners.
yeah despite the "scarefactors" influenced by travellers who make out everyones trying to scam you, there are a lot of good eggs here that are very honest and generous
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American TAYLOR HARTLEY: You left your wallet with Several Hundred Dollars in it at Park Cafe in Phnom Penh

Post by Soyoung123 »

This is awesome. Need more of these storys. Wonder if he picked it up
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I found a nice Samsung phone on a seat in a local spirts bar recently. Handed it in and within 5 minutes the owner returned and gave me two fifties.
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

2 years ago, before using app for booking tuk tuk, I forgot at late evening a smart phone on the tuk tuk. I realised the lost, when I was in my room. I called my number and the tuk tuk driver answered saying he was already on the way to my hotel. He got 20 usd.
Some tuk tuk driver are good people too.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Lost passport (fell out of pants pocket) at De Javu on Riverside a few years ago. Traced back where I had been about 2 hours later looking for it and was pleasantly surprised they had it at the counter. Paid $20 to finder for being honest and gave $30 to the staff for food and drinks until gone for working at such an honest shop. Saved me a new passport and visa.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Arget wrote:Lost passport (fell out of pants pocket) at De Javu on Riverside a few years ago. Traced back where I had been about 2 hours later looking for it and was pleasantly surprised they had it at the counter. Paid $20 to finder for being honest and gave $30 to the staff for food and drinks until gone for working at such an honest shop. Saved me a new passport and visa.
Haven’t you already posted this story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:40 pm I found a nice Samsung phone on a seat in a local spirts bar recently. Handed it in and within 5 minutes the owner returned and gave me two fifties.
Oh that's nice. Years ago I found a wallet on the street in Sydney and it had the owner's driver's licence with address literally a few doors along the street. I suspect she may have put it on the roof of the car and driven off or something. There was several hundred dollars in it (I didn't count). I went to the house but no-one was home so I just left it in the mailbox. In hindsight I should have kept a hold of it and gone back in the evening when someone was home. I hope her housemates were honest if they found it there before her. Also I was unemployed at the time so a reward would have been nice, but I did not help myself. She had a 2SER (UTS radio station) card so she may have been a student.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

I worked in the service industry for 10 years as a bartender and always returned wallets and other valuables to customers. It is good karma and also part of the job. I guess the Park Cafe will be one of the regular places I will be dropping by when I go to PP in July. I also will tell them I read this article and this is why I chose to eat here. Good for the Park Cafe and I hope they see an increase in business.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

This story might be hard to believe, but on a night bus from Vireak Buntham my wallet somehow slipped out of my pocket while asleep. When the driver noticed it when calling for guests leaving the bus in Kampong Cham he mentioned it and gave it back to me while i was kind of asleep.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 pm This story might be hard to believe, but on a night bus from Vireak Buntham my wallet somehow slipped out of my pocket while asleep. When the driver noticed it when calling for guests leaving the bus in Kampong Cham he mentioned it and gave it back to me while i was kind of asleep.
Yes it is hard to believe that anyone here would travel on Virak Buntham. :D
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic