Buying a used car here in 2019? Part 2, best sub $15k options

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Buying a used car here in 2019? Part 2, best sub $15k options

Post by A10 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm To be honest, the highlander doesn't really do it for me. I'd rather have an older 4runner or Hilux surf, or the A4quattro. The Lexus LX/Landcruiser models suit me.

Out of interest- What are the legalities of operating a foreign registered vehicle in the KoW, do you know? I'm looking at jobs in both Saigon and Bangkok, and that means that I might be able to justify having a vehicle there, and occasionally bring it here.
I can only say that cars in Vietnam are ludicrously expensive compared to here, at least as of a couple years ago. You might be able to get an old Chevy Captiva diesel or Suzuki Vitara (90's), and I think those are still almost $10k. Our friend in HCMC had a 2011 Fortuner that cost him $70,000. An A4 would probably be near the 70-80 grand mark.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

A little off topic but how do these pass/app car drivers afford these cars ? I wondered before but after seeing these numbers I really wonder now. Nice rigs, many higher end not even gas savers
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Aren’t the CRVs part of the cheaper SUV club?

I had one and remember it being near RAV4 level.

Cool thread, find it interesting.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

CRVs haven't been imported much for a few years now due to Honda's not being popular here (according to several sellers I talked to). 2nd gen CRVs have a bigger motor than early Gen 2 Rav4s, so they're more expensive off the bat if imported due to the higher tax bracket they fall under.

It may have been one of the reasons they didn't sell well to begin with (the higher initial purchase price), but that's speculation on my part.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Great stuff A10....

might I add, you wistfully remind me of a much venerated and venerable poster who went by the handle Akira/AK87.

That guy could roast a mean batch of coffee beans. I miss him.
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

Hi

How much are the taxes importing a car to Cambodia?
Are the import taxes based on the invoiced amount or on a fictive amount for that model and year?

Any other cost/tax to pay to import a car to Cambodia?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I bought a Corolla last week for $1500.

Spent $200 on a service and it runs perfect. Not a cut and shut, and honest miles on the clock (250'000).

Been flogging the shit out of it over broken provincial roads and it's like a big springy sofa on wheels.

Sorted.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

cpandrea wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm Hi

Are the import taxes based on the invoiced amount or on a fictive amount for that model and year?

Fixed cost, but depends on the year, engine displacement (how many ccs), if it's a "luxury" vehicle or not, and if it's a work vehicle (like a delivery van or flatbed pickup) or a personal vehicle. Can literally range from $4,000 on a sub 1.0 liter car, to almost $100k (maybe more) on a big engine luxury SUV.

Other costs include shipping obviously, and registration when you want to get a license plate. But you're going to pay extra fees to various people to get your own car in. I've imported 3 cars from the U.S. before, and while it wasn't that hard, it wasn't cheap either.
cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

A10 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm
cpandrea wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm Hi

Fixed cost, but depends on the year, engine displacement (how many ccs), if it's a "luxury" vehicle or not, and if it's a work vehicle (like a delivery van or flatbed pickup) or a personal vehicle. Can literally range from $4,000 on a sub 1.0 liter car, to almost $100k (maybe more) on a big engine luxury SUV.

Other costs include shipping obviously, and registration when you want to get a license plate. But you're going to pay extra fees to various people to get your own car in. I've imported 3 cars from the U.S. before, and while it wasn't that hard, it wasn't cheap either.
Thanks

Also the import taxes aren't a % of the invoiced amount?

Then make no sense to import old cheap cars with a value of 1 or 2k, if you have to pay a minimum tax of 4k

Is somewhere to find on the net the info about the import tax for each model year?
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

cpandrea wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm
Then make no sense to import old cheap cars with a value of 1 or 2k, if you have to pay a minimum tax of 4k
That's basically most of the cars on the road here. $1,500 2004 Toyota Rav4, $13,000 import duty, $1,000+ shipping = $15,500, which is right around how much they go for here.

cpandrea wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm
Is somewhere to find on the net the info about the import tax for each model year?
Not on the internet, unless someone has posted the import tax tables somewhere but I haven't seen one for this year online.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic