Police asked for money but refused to do anything

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Police asked for money but refused to do anything

Post by explorer »

A man flew from Europe to Phnom Penh airport. From the airport, he got a tuk tuk to his hotel. While in the tuk tuk he used his phone. He had it sitting on his leg, and someone on a motorbike came past and snatched it. After getting to his hotel, he got hold of another phone, and found the location of his stolen phone. He went to that location, and his phone was for sale in a phone shop. He went to the police, and reported it. The police told him he had to pay $70, which he paid. He then took the police to the phone shop where his phone was. He told them he could prove it was his phone by telling them all of the contacts in his phone. The police refused to do anything.

1. It seems the criminals and phone shop work together, and pay off the police. They are possibly even relatives.

2. Maybe someone can explain how to find the location of a stolen phone. He said it was with his Google account.

3. What would happen if a similar situation occurred, and the owner of the stolen phone just took if from the phone shop and rode away?

4. What would happen if a similar situation occurred, and the person named the police who refused to act?

5. I would out the phone shop on the internet. I think his English is not good enough to do that in English.

6. Be careful. A lot of bags and phones get snatched between the airport and Phnom Penh.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police asked for money but refused to do anything

Post by Kayve »

Buy it back from the shop. Problem Solved.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Ok, keep your hands on all your valuble stuff...we get it.

but I'm curious,....isn't the airport IN phnom penh?

were is the space 'between' them?

curious.

just askin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Bertros wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm Ok, keep your hands on all your valuble stuff...we get it.

but I'm curious,....isn't the airport IN phnom penh?

were is the space 'between' them?

curious.

just askin'

Bertros :hattip:
It's the capital city, so it's not a tiny village. Heathrow is in London like Pochentong is in PP, like KLIA is in KL, JFK in NY etc etc. You expect a cab ride inbetween.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kayve wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 pm Buy it back from the shop. Problem Solved.
So we should pay to support criminals?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Sounds like somebody paid tea money to solve their problem, then gets upset when somebody else out bids them with tea money to solve their own problem.

Can't have it both ways.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

Never pay a bribe without an agreement . . . of what you are getting in exchange.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

explorer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:02 pm
Kayve wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 pm Buy it back from the shop. Problem Solved.
So we should pay to support criminals?
Well you paid the police to get nothing back.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic