Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm
Reputation: 12
United States of America

Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Pedroviera » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm

American passport low on visa pages. 110 usd for new passport . Make appointment online bring printout copy of appointment and application for passport. 2 security checkpoints/screening and they keep your cell/everything except cash until you leave. Take a number and waited less than 30 minutes. Notified 10 calendar days later by email passport ready. You keep your old passport before and after receiving new one. Less than 15 minute wait to pick up passport. Impressed by the staff inside overall friendly helpful. I had application errors (and several others same) and they helped/waited without having to return/reschedule. Not a place I wanna hangout but not terrible experience...... I witnessed 2 expats in process of "emergency loans" . I asked staff (I thought no help from usa embassy) and they said emergency loans are available
User avatar
Stiliko
Expatriate
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:34 pm
Reputation: 34
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Stiliko » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm

If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Pedroviera
Expatriate
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm
Reputation: 12
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Pedroviera » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Stiliko wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't they change that rule 2016?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:54 pm
Reputation: 41
Cambodia

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by cambo swa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Pedroviera wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm
Stiliko wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't they change that rule 2016?
That is correct. Prior to 2016 adding pages was the best method. The new rule was made "to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards". At least that is the publicly announced reason.
User avatar
Cam Nivag
Expatriate
Posts: 2423
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 689
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Cam Nivag » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Pedroviera wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm
I witnessed 2 expats in process of "emergency loans" . I asked staff (I thought no help from usa embassy) and they said emergency loans are available
That's the best thing about the embassy, you sit in a big waiting room and can eavesdrop on what everyone else is doing there. A few years back they did put up some Dilbert-like cubicle dividers to make it hard for people sitting in the waiting room to see the people being serviced at the windows, but you can still hear it pretty well.

I've gotten three passports replaced there and it has always taken 8 calendar days, not ten, but you may have had the Memorial Day weekend in there.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 103
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by BklynBoy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:09 am

Stiliko wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This happened to me last summer. It was during the election and my visa was ending in a day or so-- I went to extend my ordinary visa and told me i didnt have enough pages

and I would be paying a penalty each day and the embassy was closed a few days ( from what i remember)

I made an appointment and was gathering all the paperwork/ my filled passport, passport picture etc...
While speaking to some of my top bloke friends, they suggested the steam method regarding the expired visas and the glue.
Without adding any more info to this story, it worked!!..

went to some shop on Riverside-- obviously a different place then I originally went.

I felt uncomfortable getting and waiting for a new passport in Cambodia ..but happy to know someone else went thru the whole process. I think still paid like 10 dollar penalty but super happy that it worked.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
User avatar
A10
Expatriate
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm
Reputation: 55
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by A10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am

What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 103
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by BklynBoy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am

A10 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am
What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
When this happened to me -- told me I didn't have enough pages to get the new visa, I think I hhad 2 pages left
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
cambo swa
Expatriate
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:54 pm
Reputation: 41
Cambodia

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by cambo swa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am

BklynBoy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am
A10 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am
What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
When this happened to me -- told me I didn't have enough pages to get the new visa, I think I hhad 2 pages left
Most countries require a minimum of 2 pages (one page for the visa and one page for the stamps), but if they are having a bad day then that could not be enough. I found that China requires the 2 empty pages to be consecutive pages for a long-term Chinese visa.
User avatar
A10
Expatriate
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm
Reputation: 55
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by A10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you for the answers. Seems I'll probably will be fine since my passport expires in 2 years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post