Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Pedroviera »

American passport low on visa pages. 110 usd for new passport . Make appointment online bring printout copy of appointment and application for passport. 2 security checkpoints/screening and they keep your cell/everything except cash until you leave. Take a number and waited less than 30 minutes. Notified 10 calendar days later by email passport ready. You keep your old passport before and after receiving new one. Less than 15 minute wait to pick up passport. Impressed by the staff inside overall friendly helpful. I had application errors (and several others same) and they helped/waited without having to return/reschedule. Not a place I wanna hangout but not terrible experience...... I witnessed 2 expats in process of "emergency loans" . I asked staff (I thought no help from usa embassy) and they said emergency loans are available
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Replacing Passport at US Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Stiliko »

If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Stiliko wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.

Didn't they change that rule 2016?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Pedroviera wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 pm
Stiliko wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm If you’re low on visa pages you don’t need to get a new passport. You can pay to have extra pages stapled in.

Didn't they change that rule 2016?
That is correct. Prior to 2016 adding pages was the best method. The new rule was made "to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards". At least that is the publicly announced reason.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Pedroviera wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm I witnessed 2 expats in process of "emergency loans" . I asked staff (I thought no help from usa embassy) and they said emergency loans are available
That's the best thing about the embassy, you sit in a big waiting room and can eavesdrop on what everyone else is doing there. A few years back they did put up some Dilbert-like cubicle dividers to make it hard for people sitting in the waiting room to see the people being serviced at the windows, but you can still hear it pretty well.

I've gotten three passports replaced there and it has always taken 8 calendar days, not ten, but you may have had the Memorial Day weekend in there.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

This happened to me last summer. It was during the election and my visa was ending in a day or so-- I went to extend my ordinary visa and told me i didnt have enough pages

and I would be paying a penalty each day and the embassy was closed a few days ( from what i remember)

I made an appointment and was gathering all the paperwork/ my filled passport, passport picture etc...
While speaking to some of my top bloke friends, they suggested the steam method regarding the expired visas and the glue.
Without adding any more info to this story, it worked!!..

went to some shop on Riverside-- obviously a different place then I originally went.

I felt uncomfortable getting and waiting for a new passport in Cambodia ..but happy to know someone else went thru the whole process. I think still paid like 10 dollar penalty but super happy that it worked.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

A10 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
When this happened to me -- told me I didn't have enough pages to get the new visa, I think I hhad 2 pages left
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am
A10 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 am What's the "official" definition of low? I think I have 8-10 pages left but no one mentioned to me about needing a new passport soon. I used a majority of my pages when traveling the world 4-5 years ago but since over the last few years, just two, one "normal" visa for Cambodia and then my 12 month EB if it matters.
When this happened to me -- told me I didn't have enough pages to get the new visa, I think I hhad 2 pages left
Most countries require a minimum of 2 pages (one page for the visa and one page for the stamps), but if they are having a bad day then that could not be enough. I found that China requires the 2 empty pages to be consecutive pages for a long-term Chinese visa.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Thank you for the answers. Seems I'll probably will be fine since my passport expires in 2 years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic