10 Dead in Major Traffic Accident on National Road 4

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: 10 Dead in Major Traffic Accident on National Road 4

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

PS, "Cambodia is a land of water"

Travelling by boat involves pleasure, beauty and relaxation.
It is especially good for your sanity in this mad mad country.
And safer too.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 10 Dead in Major Traffic Accident on National Road 4

Post by armchairlawyer »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: That's why I always ride my own vehicle.
Didn’t do the customs any good. RIP.

I don’t think Cambodians drive aggressively at all. It’s just normal for them to overtake dangerously and they have to be in front and if they feel “it’s their right” they will flash you to move out the way. Even big trucks.

Then pull in 50 meters later to get a coffee/take a piss/drop off some chickens etc.

I’ve never experienced “road rage” here personally but have seen it and only by westerners towards Cambodians, who just smile or shrug.

Even if I make a mistake whilst driving, which everyone is guilty of, Cambodians don’t say a word, flash their lights or beep their horn. They just accept it.

I bet if you attach a heart monitor to a typical bus or truck driver it wouldn’t go over 70bpm unlike the western passengers it’ll be 120bpm!

RIP to the dead. Truly sad.
Agree 99%. I have occasionally seen road rage in Cambodia and it is scary when it happens. One time I was in a PP taxi that had an altercation with a State-plated SUV, you can imagine what was going through my mind. In Thailand road rage used to be equally rare but it quickly became quite the fashion. That was a few years ago, I don't know if it has calmed down.
IMHO, the saving grace of Cambodian roads is the lack of road rage and the low speeds of driving. When those two things change, it's going to become lethal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic