UXO disposal jobs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Re: UXO disposal jobs

Post by DoRightByThem »

Ok so Ive done some digging. It seems now that Cambodia doesn’t allow foreigners to de-mine, or at least at the face level of policy. Since the US Dept of State has an easier interpretation of the whole “serve in a foreign military” thing than they used to, I may look into that as an option, if of course the Kingdom permits me the honor. I guess honestly, that I never gave a damn about the money, I just want to protect kids is all. If anyone hears about the Army etc, specifically vis a vis joining as a barang, please let me know.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Non-citizens cannot join the army.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

Back to hounding HALO lol
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

DoRightByThem wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 am Ok so Ive done some digging. It seems now that Cambodia doesn’t allow foreigners to de-mine, or at least at the face level of policy. Since the US Dept of State has an easier interpretation of the whole “serve in a foreign military” thing than they used to, I may look into that as an option, if of course the Kingdom permits me the honor. I guess honestly, that I never gave a damn about the money, I just want to protect kids is all. If anyone hears about the Army etc, specifically vis a vis joining as a barang, please let me know.
I don't think Cambodia ever allowed foreigners to de-mine or anything that would put them into a dangerous situation of losing life. That is after the Khmer was shown new ways of de-mining and schooling, victim support had been put into place, and then donations. I think that was the work of Halo trusts involvement from 1991 and being the first organisation to help the de-mining, if I am not mistaken.

The job I mentioned (at the time) was a record accountant of the mines recovered, (Halo keep record's) and their safe housing. The successful person whom would be employed would be provided accommodation and a salary of @£37,000 plus holidays with full pay and return flights to your own country, or holiday destination. They do prefer someone who has some skills of what they do. Leaning towards ex army skilled.
But even with that job there was a two time on hands de-mine training out in the field.

I was in the north of the country a few years ago. The Khmer de-miners CSHD where clearing a mountain side facing Laos. 15 mines they found there, some were too fragile to move, so detonated in situ. Wow the blast noise was scary. I was on that mountain the day before with about 300 others attending at the temple on the top. I would meet up with the de-miners at the end of their day for a meal, the person whom was in charge had dedicated his life to his work, due to him having his arm blown off when he was a young boy. He told me he never wanted that to happen to another boy. He was a very deddicated man and so pleasant to talk with, they where hard working and long days, sun up sun down for the week work there. He was based in Siem Reap.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I hear there's some Chinese de-mining.
But the government had ordered police to round them up.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
DoRightByThem
BANNED
United States of America

Post by DoRightByThem »

Wow. Well, I may need to try to use my ambiguous power of persuasion lol.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Just a brief aside:

I hope I'm wrong and I've nothing concrete to base it on, but I get a slight RickyBobby vibe from DoRightByThem.

Anyway, carry on.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Cleaned this up a bit and DoRightByThem has left the building for good.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America