10 Dead in Major Traffic Accident on National Road 4

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: 10 Dead in Major Traffic Accident on National Road 4

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm From the PPP link above:
Naphal said there were nine people in the minibus, five of whom were killed, including the driver, while the other four passengers sustained serious injuries.

According to a report issued by the police committee, which was obtained by The Post on Sunday, the 25-seat minibus owned by Virak Buntham Express Tour & Travel was travelling from Preah Sihanouk province to Phnom Penh.

The report said the minibus tried to overtake another vehicle but collided with a Hyundai truck travelling in the opposite direction.

The minibus then collided with a Toyota Highlander carrying five passengers including the three customs officials.

“After the collision, the Highlander and the Hyundai burst into flames,” the report said.

All five passengers in the Highlander were killed instantly.

The injured were sent to Kampong Speu provincial hospital, the report said, while the driver of the Hyundai truck fled the scene.
Virak Buntham strikes yet again. They must have a higher body count than many small wars at this stage.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

andy1 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:42 pm Looks like a Virak Buntham mini bus was involved,but it seems like they were not at fault this time.RIP
Seems like i got it wrong and they have murdered yet more inocent people..........
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If that's true about the VB minibus causing the accident I apologize about my comments about the customs officers. My comments were colored by incidents involving the deputy head of traffic police last week.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Same. Either way, it's all a shame regardless of who was at fault given that it could have been avoided. Virak Buntham have a horrible reputation by now. Seems like they were in the news just recently (well, maybe a year ago) with either the owner or management promising to provide drivers with more training. That's why I always ride my own vehicle. Sitting in a minibus always scares the hell out of me and I can't relax or doze off. I usually end up just fixated on the road and whatever crazy manoeuvre the driver is doing, negating the whole point of taking a bus.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

King Keil wrote:Strange, we have all kind of driving education in europe and common sense I suppose but still I see more aggressive speeding drivers here than in cambodia.
Especially motorbikes on the weekend, totally out of there mind and that annoying noise.
I'd agree with you that road rage is a thing everywhere. Nevertheless, I just checked with a jurisdiction in my home country which has about the same population as Cambodia, and the fatality rate is six times lower than in Cambodia. Part of that may be attributed to the higher percentage of motorbikes here, but even when looking at the number of accidents, the rate is waaay lower than here (4 times or so). More lanes would help, but again, proper driving knowledge would be the best at tackling the dangers here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Does anyone have the power to shut Virak Buntham down? In a western country they would have all licences taken away by now.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

andy1 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 am Does anyone have the power to shut Virak Buntham down? In a western country they would have all licences taken away by now.
People want to blame individuals and companies, when a large proportion of Cambodians drive/ride in a dangerous manner. We should be asking what can be done to improve road safety overall.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: That's why I always ride my own vehicle.
Didn’t do the customs any good. RIP.

I don’t think Cambodians drive aggressively at all. It’s just normal for them to overtake dangerously and they have to be in front and if they feel “it’s their right” they will flash you to move out the way. Even big trucks.

Then pull in 50 meters later to get a coffee/take a piss/drop off some chickens etc.

I’ve never experienced “road rage” here personally but have seen it and only by westerners towards Cambodians, who just smile or shrug.

Even if I make a mistake whilst driving, which everyone is guilty of, Cambodians don’t say a word, flash their lights or beep their horn. They just accept it.

I bet if you attach a heart monitor to a typical bus or truck driver it wouldn’t go over 70bpm unlike the western passengers it’ll be 120bpm!

RIP to the dead. Truly sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: That's why I always ride my own vehicle.
Didn’t do the customs any good. RIP.
I understand they were in a taxi?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

explorer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 am
andy1 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 am Does anyone have the power to shut Virak Buntham down? In a western country they would have all licences taken away by now.
People want to blame individuals and companies, when a large proportion of Cambodians drive/ride in a dangerous manner. We should be asking what can be done to improve road safety overall.
Virak is a ruthlessly efficient businessman. Everything is strictly about cost/benefit ratios and profits.
Yes Explorer, we do need to look at the bigger picture,
but Andy and others are right to point the finger too.

There has long been talk by the gov about holding the big bus companies to account for their shocking toll.
Maybe there will be incremental improvements, but don't hold your breath on licences being cancelled.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic