Four Children Aged 10-14 Drown in a Pond, Kampong Cham

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Four Children Aged 10-14 Drown in a Pond, Kampong Cham

Post by Arget »

hanno wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am
Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 am Sounds like you work for the ministry, hanno.

Let's not bother looking for solutions.
What a bullshit reply. For your information, I offer swimming classes at my hotel here in Sa Pa for local children. We have 40 - 50 kids every day. But I do not see every hotel doing that....
We cannot save the world but with your teaching kids to swim you not only save them but you save the next little bloke or blokette that falls into a river near them. In turn they may well teach their mates, or at least their kids when they have them .

So this is a variant of the old give a fish and teach to fish parable and will save lives.

Well done Hanno.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am And that is a great reply hanno. Hats off to you for your efforts in offering swimming classes.

Surely, there is a simple solution for rural Khmer kids that doesn't need a huge budget to build swimming pools everywhere. There are lakes, dams, rivers. There must be a way.
Thanks UT and excuse the impolite reply; sleep deprived ;-)

Dasms are probably the most dangerous thing to learn how to swim though. In Vietnam too 4 kids drowned last week, swimming in a dam.

Like with many things (think the frequent lightning strikes) a lot hasto do with, or the absence of, education.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

whatwat wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am There’s another approach. Floating lessons, much simpler and quicker than swimming lessons.

https://www.infantswim.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mom always tells me that my brother and I knew how to swim before we could walk.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic