American ARRON RENE DAUGHERTY Died in Street 172 Hotel Room, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Nevins
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: American ARRON RENE DAUGHERTY Died in Street 172 Hotel Room, Phnom Penh

Post by Nevins »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:54 pm Hi David, Nevins, May i ask if your friend/teacher was the Aaron Daugherty who wrote extensively on gang crime in Central and South America? Or another Arron.
If so, he sure did some interesting, cutting edge work.
In any case, commiseration for the loss of your friend.
Yes it is the same one who wrote those articles. He was by no means the sort of dysfunctional drug user that you might think of when you see a foreigner has died in PP. Having seen a couple of photos from the scene, I have some serious questions about the circumstances of his death.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

David, Nevin, I am not an expert in this kind of thing.
My suggestion;
If you have any concerns about the cause of Arron's death, write to the US Consulate in Phnom Pehn.
Perhaps you two could contact each other (via PM, see box in top right corner)) and send co-ordinated letter/s.
Outline the nature of your concerns and tell them that the reported cause of death does not fit his character, as you knew him.
Also possibly point to his previous reporting. i doubt that has any relation to his death - but it may help to get the Consulates attention.

Perhaps other CEO members can give some more experienced advice.
Anyway, good luck and best wishes.
Aaron seemed to have lived his short life to the full - that is uncommon, and a rare and wonderful thing.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

My eyes have not completely woken up yet, but I only see a drug test in the darknet. That doesn't tell me he had a drug problem...
Still here, in country...
DavidLM
Tourist

Post by DavidLM »

Nevins wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:41 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:54 pm Hi David, Nevins, May i ask if your friend/teacher was the Aaron Daugherty who wrote extensively on gang crime in Central and South America? Or another Arron.
If so, he sure did some interesting, cutting edge work.
In any case, commiseration for the loss of your friend.
Yes it is the same one who wrote those articles. He was by no means the sort of dysfunctional drug user that you might think of when you see a foreigner has died in PP. Having seen a couple of photos from the scene, I have some serious questions about the circumstances of his death.
What do you see in the pictures? Where can I see them? I dont know darknet.

Maybe you see in the pictures too much perfection? He was perfectly on the bed, the room really tidy, some belongings located where expected. According to the news he had only some cash, passport, a mobile, an ATM card and some clothes... and his laptop? He was using one for english classes.

This is the last message I have from him on May the 22th:
Arron
classroom
14:06
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know: I'll be traveling to get a new visa next week. I won't be teaching classes from the 27th-30th. After that it will be back to the normal schedule.

Best regards,
He told me he was living in Bankok and PP is 12h by car.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

:hattip:

This DEMANDS to be investigated by someone outside of Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic