Phnom Penh Railway Station to be Transformed into ‘Royal Train Square’

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Re: Phnom Penh Railway Station to be Transformed into ‘Royal Train Square’

Post by Bibi »

« shops, cafes, restaurants, and banks »
Exactly what was missing in Phnom Penh.

When all empty spaces will be filled with more shops, cafes, restaurants and banks, I wonder how many coffees we should drink every day in order to spend all the money that we have in all these banks and make the whole business model sustainable ...
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Renovation is almost completed. Pretty nice job imo. Like I predicted, few small booths in main hall, otherwise left as it was big open space with seating. Main commercial space is in old office spaces in both ends of building. I can imagine some fine dining / craft beer / wine bar opening up in one of those old office spaces with Rosewood, Hilton, Raffles hotels being nearby.

Left is picture from 2017/2019 and right is after renovation.

I believe few shops already open there.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Looks nice, like a first-class decorating job, but I imagen the behind the scene renovations are interesting on a building of such structure.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Left Field Railway Historical Kollectov

They should return it to the workers
and let them organise the Communist Party right there all over again
:stir: ('joke joyce)

Many secret meetings of the Khmer People's Revolutionary Party (KPRP) were held in the railway yards from the early 50's.
In late September 1960, twenty-one leaders of the KPRP held a secret congress in a vacant room of the Phnom Penh railroad station to officially form the Workers' Party of Kampuchea. This was later renamed the Communist Party of Kampuchea (CPK). < aka, The Khmer rouge.

This article has some interesting history on the KR usage of the rail system during their rule.
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/railway-r ... 41933.html

and then of course we have the infamous KR bandit-rump raids on the railway during the '90's.
https://www.csmonitor.com/1994/0805/05072.html
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 am Renovation is almost completed. Pretty nice job imo. Like I predicted, few small booths in main hall, otherwise left as it was big open space with seating. Main commercial space is in old office spaces in both ends of building. I can imagine some fine dining / craft beer / wine bar opening up in one of those old office spaces with Rosewood, Hilton, Raffles hotels being nearby.

Left is picture from 2017/2019 and right is after renovation.

I see nobody thought of getting the builders crap out of the place before taking the pictures. Otherwise, a great improvement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic