Phnom Penh Expat Reports Mugging at Knifepoint on Social Media

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Re: Phnom Penh Expat Reports Mugging at Knifepoint on Social Media

Post by Bibi »

I live close to this street and never heard of foreigners being attacked except the bag-snatching. One of the thing I like about living here is the nice feeling of being safe compared to other capitals. I hope things will not become uneasy ...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Phnom Penh Expat Reports Mugging at Knifepoint on Social Media

Post by Anchor Moy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:08 pm Did just about everything wrong. Carried a wallet, bank cards (plural), "brand new" phone, "lots" of cash. Lived there four years yet he still walked around with a bag loaded with valuables. After midnight! Could one be any more clueless?
Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm Sounds targeted to me. I'd be thinking back to anyone who may have been able to peek inside the bag during the evening/night. If the wallet was in there, presumably the bag had been opened/closed a few times, especially if that had been in a bar. Although a dark Street and running alongside Kandal Market, it seems unlikely they got so lucky to get a large amount of cash/phone/etc in one hit. I'd guess a tip-off.
Bibi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:35 pm I live close to this street and never heard of foreigners being attacked except the bag-snatching. One of the thing I like about living here is the nice feeling of being safe compared to other capitals. I hope things will not become uneasy ...
Agree with all of the above. When I stay in PP I often walk that street at night and my biggest fear has always been to to step knee-deep in a pile of shit or get attacked by a rat. However, there are increasing reports of bag-snatching in that area, and I guess that is only one step away from mugging people at knife-point. Walking around alone at night with loads of cash is a really bad idea, even if you feel safe.
That said, the PP cops also need to up their game on riverside or tourism will suffer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic