How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kerberus
Expatriate

Re: How long is the "allowance for marry" valid?

Post by kerberus »

There's also some extra documents they will give you at the MoFA last minute (permission to get married for the Cambodian) to delay your application.
Oh about what extra documents you are talking?

I will take
  • Confirmation that i am single from my country (Affidavit of Single Status)
    --Confirmation of my embassy that this document is real
    Copy passport
    Copy Visa
    a confirmaiton of my salary in english from my company
    my salary documents
    my bank account documents (stating salary)
    Criminal records + apostille
    Medical Certificate from Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh
    Certified copy of birth certificates
So as i read i have NOT to wait 21 days until i can apply? I can fly there and apply IMMEDIATELY?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:45 pm
There's also some extra documents they will give you at the MoFA last minute (permission to get married for the Cambodian) to delay your application.

I will take
    Copy passport
    Copy Visa
    my salary documents
So as i read i have NOT to wait 21 days until i can apply? I can fly there and apply IMMEDIATELY?
At the MoFA they will hand the Cambodian a few pieces of paper:

- a declaration about where the foreigner and Cambodian met each other (one for each person) - can be filled in on the spot.
- a declaration for the parents of the Cambodian they consent with the marriage - signed of by the Sangkat where the parents live - so if you don't prepare this document in advance it means a few days delay to prepare it.

The Cambodian could collect these documents at the MoFA before the application and prepare those to make things run smoothly.

About the documents you bring, it's not OK unless you've been incomplete:

Confirmation that i am single from my country (Affidavit of Single Status)
OK

Copy passport
Not OK, must be a legalized copy, signed of by your embassy in Cambodia or the representative elsewhere.

Copy Cambodian Visa
Must be legalized too, which embassies usually won't do because they will not make statements about foreign documents. Not sure the MoFA still enforces this.

a confirmation of my salary in english from my company
my salary documents
Not sure, they might ask for a declaration of your embassy those documents are actually true

OK if issued less than 3M ago (at the time your file it at the ministry of Interior)

OK if not expired (3M)

OK

Then there's the documents from the MoFA (above) and the documents for your Cambodian partner which are usually easy to obtain.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

What makes you think you have to wait 21 days?
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How long is the

Post by Ravensnest »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:32 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 am .

Spent about 17K on the wedding, got back 7K. Much more if the cost of building the survival bunker is factored in. Bunker construction took about a year. Family had been planning her wedding for years. She was viewed as the most successful in her family. All of it was to give her and her family a good face, of course.

Just read PSD-Kiwi’s excellent posting on the subject.
Nobody cares, stopping bragging.

As far as PSD Kiwi's guide, you hired someone NKOTB. You didn't try to follow it. it is severely out dated, by years. It is helpful to get an idea of the process and the names of places. The fine details are wrong now: some locations , some prices. Everytime I asked him for updated info he was not once in country for could answer. Everytime I tried to give him updated info so he could update his guide he thanked me and said he'd check it out himself then update the guide. That's not been done, meaning I believe he does not spend time here anymore..
My point is this: Just don't believe that guide is 100% accurate. It makes it seem very easy, it is anything but.
You are right, the guide does need updating of some of the finer details...why don't you do it? I've got much better things to do with my time. :beer2:

Edit: it is still an extremely simple and inexpensive process, I recently walked a couple through it and thanks to me all of their documentation was accepted first time round, they paid zero tea money, and received their Authorisation To Marry from the MoI in less than 2 months since collecting the application pack from the MoFAIC.

If you're an unorganized mong who has no clue how to deal with Cambodian bureacracy, then it will take much longer and cost you tea money.

I certainly didn't mean it as a personal attack PSD and perhaps should have worded it differently. It is helpful, it helps ppl get familiar with the different departments names and the process. I just want ppl to know there have been some changes.
I won't rewrite it because I don't want to take that from you and I didn't get legally married here. I got as far MoI, but not interviewed. By the time I received my work permit all of my other documents expired by 3 months by their 6 month old rule.
Still here, in country...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

All good, I didn't take it as a personal attack at all, I would be happy for someone else to update it because I really don't have the time, or inclination, to do it myself.
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Thank you for your help.

I read this with the 21 days in some forum posts and i guess on the page of the canadian embassy or any other english speaking country.

My documents will be not in english...so i have to translate them? Does it matte where i let them translate?
kerberus
Expatriate

Post by kerberus »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I will take
    Copy passport
    Copy Visa
    my salary documents

- a declaration about where the foreigner and Cambodian met each other (one for each person) - can be filled in on the spot.
- a declaration for the parents of the Cambodian they consent with the marriage - signed of by the Sangkat where the parents live - so if you don't prepare this document in advance it means a few days delay to prepare it.

The Cambodian could collect these documents at the MoFA before the application and prepare those to make things run smoothly.

OK

Copy passport
Not OK, must be a legalized copy, signed of by your embassy in Cambodia or the representative elsewhere.

Copy Cambodian Visa
Must be legalized too, which embassies usually won't do because they will not make statements about foreign documents. Not sure the MoFA still enforces this.

my salary documents
Not sure, they might ask for a declaration of your embassy those documents are actually true

OK if issued less than 3M ago (at the time your file it at the ministry of Interior)

OK if not expired (3M)

OK

Then there's the documents from the MoFA (above) and the documents for your Cambodian partner which are usually easy to obtain.
You wrote at the time i file at the ministry of interior ... i hope MOFAIC can do their paper stuff within the stated 5 days???

:shock: I think my embassy will not declare that my salary documents are real, so i only can take as much with me as i can. Maybe i can also take a statement from my social insurance which includes the height of my salary.

btw i also checked out the page of my own embassy, and the state that i have to bring these documents 2 times (criminal record etc)...is this true or you brought all documents only 1 time?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I will take
    Copy passport
    Copy Visa
    my salary documents

OK

Copy passport

Copy Cambodian Visa

my salary documents

OK if not expired (3M)

OK

You wrote at the time i file at the ministry of interior ... i hope MOFAIC can do their paper stuff within the stated 5 days???
I don't know where those 5 days you mention are stated. Standard procedure is 20 working days (1 month), express (450$) is 5 working days (1 week) if I remember well. If there are holidays it's taking longer. I'm sure 5 days is possible, bring USD in large amounts and you'll get a VIP treatment.
kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 pm :shock: I think my embassy will not declare that my salary documents are real, so i only can take as much with me as i can. Maybe i can also take a statement from my social insurance which includes the height of my salary.
If it's not signed, your application is not complete. No problem, at a surcharge the MoFAIC will 'support' you with these problems. Cost: 450$ for 10 working days. Interior will do the same (1 month) for about 550. Search on this forum for "marriage", "cambodia" and "scam" and the info is all there.
kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 pm btw i also checked out the page of my own embassy, and the state that i have to bring these documents 2 times (criminal record etc)...is this true or you brought all documents only 1 time?
Why should they need two? They want the originals, still valid, all signed of by your embassy. If there's stamp missing it's going to cost you. See the numbers above.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 pm Thank you for your help.

I read this with the 21 days in some forum posts and i guess on the page of the canadian embassy or any other english speaking country.

My documents will be not in english...so i have to translate them? Does it matte where i let them translate?
If they're in French maybe it's OK too? I guess English, Khmer and French will be accepted, but I'm not sure.

If I were you I would send my fiancee to the MoFAIC with some questions, and I would not start collecting documents before having the answers. You might be collecting documents which are useless. I can not imagine the MoFAIC accepting documents, even when legalized, in just any language. Usually legalized documents have at least a short summary of the content in English as well.

There are translation agencies in Phnom Penh which will be accepted by the government, but the amount of languages they offer is quite limited.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kerberus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:01 pm January-March 2020 - Get the allowance for marry
January 2021 - Marry and make the final marriage certificate
Wait until November or December 2020 to get the allowance for marry.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic