"Funan", Animated Film on Cambodia Opens International Festival

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

"Funan", Animated Film on Cambodia Opens International Festival

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

“Funan” opens 18th edition of FICAM
23 March 2019

MEKNES - The Meknes international festival of animated cinema (FICAM) opened Friday with the award-winning animated feature film “Funan” by filmmaker Denis Do that depicts the horrors of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge regime without showing the worst atrocities.

The 18th edition of FICAM has a focus on the Spanish animated cinema represented by Alberto Vazquez, who made a big impression with his feature film Psiconautas, Carolina Lopez, director of the International Animation Film Festival of Catalonia (ANIMAC) and Emilio de la Rosa, producer and director of animated films.

The film depicts a powerful story of a young mother, Phnom Penh, whose three-year-old son is snatched from her by a feeling crowd as Cambodia descends into horror in 1975. She fights to save her son and keep her family together despite the barbarism that has gripped the country.
https://middle-east-online.com/en/%E2%8 ... tion-ficam
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Funan", Animated Film on Cambodia Opens International Festival

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Funan
A film by Denis Do

NORTH AMERICAN PREMIERE
Denis Do, France/Luxembourg/Belgium, 2018, 84 min.
In French with English subtitles
Recommended for ages 12 and up

Winner of the Cristal, the highest award at Annecy Animation Festival, Funan is a powerful and beautiful story of a young mother’s determination to hold on to her family during unspeakably trying times. During the Khmer Rouge madness of the 1970s in Phnom Penh, young Chou’s world is upended when the population is deported to work camps and she becomes separated from her 4-year-old son.

Working in the fields day and night while living in squalor, Chou and the people in her camp are reduced to slave status, fighting for scraps of food and doing whatever they can to survive. With reality becoming grimmer by the day, Chou remains steadfast in her determination to find her son and reunite her family – even if it means risking everything.
Stunningly art directed by Michael Crouzat (key animator on Despicable Me) the sweeping immensity and beauty of the Cambodian landscape serves as poignant backdrop to the heartrending cruelty Chou faces, while prompting the question, can this be real? Featuring nuanced performances by acclaimed French actors Bérénice Bejo and Louis Garrel.
https://animationisfilm.com/film/funan/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

‘Funan’ Exclusive Trailer: GKids Gets Animated Over Cambodian Survival Drama
"'Funan' is the story of a family. Of a woman...My mother," the director said of his animated film about the Khmer Rouge's cruelties.
By IndieWire -
May 8, 2019
With “Funan” (opening June 7th), director Dennis Do explores nightmarish atrocities in his acclaimed survival story about the cruelties of Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge in 1975. The Annecy and Animation Is Film (AIF) award-winner might also secure the 12th Oscar nomination for indie distributor GKids.
In full: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/funan ... 202131983/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I'm so tired of the Khmer Rouge. Can't they make animated movies for kids about something else?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

What other images does Cambodia actively promote about itself besides Angkor Wat and the Khmer Rouge? I suppose kid sex trafficking and sex slavery, but it would be hard to make a family friendly movie about that.

Hope I’m not offending any of the long timers. Just my opinion. Cambodia does not do a good job promoting the Pearl of the Southeast Asia to become a household name in most people’s minds.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Exclusive: ‘Funan’ Director Denis Do Reveals His Personal Connection to the Harrowing True Story
by Dave Trumbore
May 31, 2019

Funan, the upcoming GKIDS release from co-writer/director Denis Do in his feature directorial debut, tells a deeply personal tale from Do’s own family history. The story follows a Cambodian family who finds their idyllic lives turned upside down by the emergence of the Khmer Rouge in the mid-1970s. What follows is a harrowing tale of survival and sacrifice, and a portrayal of man’s inhumanity to man. And it’s all pulled from experiences that Do’s own family members and their friends suffered through, as he reveals in our exclusive new video featurette.

In this touching and earnest interview, Do talks about his journey in making Funan, gleaning bits of information and intimate stories from his family members and their fellow survivors, some of whom they hadn’t seen or spoken to in decades. Their story, and by extension that of Funan, is one that needs to be remembered even if history has a way of trying to forget it, especially in the West. I also had the chance to ask Do more specific questions about Funan and its powerful message, so keep an eye out for my interview with him next week just before the film’s debut.

http://collider.com/funan-director-deni ... interview/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic