I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by Gilmore »

Standards for admission to Masters courses vary enormously worldwide. Given the prevailing mercenary attitudes of Tertiary institutions, it is often the case that you pay your money and you're in.
During the 25 years I taught in Australia, M.Eds were the almost exclusive domain of upward mobiles seeking promotion. I was told by a recent Australian graduate who worked with us that M.Eds are now virtually compulsory for many teaching jobs-she had one herself. It appears that it is not a case of higher admission standards. More a case of lower academic standards.
Having taught for almost 40 years, I strongly believe teachers are born, not made i.e. it requires certain personal qualities that not everyone possesses. I have worked with teachers who had Ph.Ds but were utterly hopeless. I also worked here with teachers who were not properly qualified, but did an outstanding job. If you lack the confidence and the communication and organisational skills required, students will sense it and walk all over you. For these teachers, the job is a nightmare, while others find it a breeze from day one.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

First time the teacher has stood up to teach all semester. He has stated that he hates standing up to teach. Also a first is writing on the whiteboard. He’s also stated he hates writing during class.

This is what he wrote.

Told the students to copy verbatim as if it was gold.

My take on it...

Is it beneficial for a native English speaking teacher to speak English in English class?

In his case ...

A useless waste on all accounts.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am First time the teacher has stood up to teach all semester. He has stated that he hates standing up to teach. Also a first is writing on the whiteboard. He’s also stated he hates writing during class.

This is what he wrote.

Told the students to copy verbatim as if it was gold.

My take on it...

Is it beneficial for a native English speaking teacher to speak English in English class?

In his case ...

A useless waste on all accounts.
As a non-teacher I don't see a problem. The topic is relevant to the students, and what he's asking them to do seems clear enough to me. What don't you like ?
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Same here. I don't see a problem. He's giving them some useful tools to effectively write an essay. Sure, it's missing a thing or two, but then again, you get what you pay for. OP shouldn't expect Notre Dame standard at an English school in Cambodia.

And yes, students should copy this because it is gold! Believe it or not, kids still use the same format in college!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Queef wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am OP shouldn't expect Notre Dame standard at an English school in Cambodia.
He demands perfection from anyone who interacts with his perfect wife.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

It could be more engaging or interesting if this was projected from PowerPoint or similar. But really I don't see much wrong with the content at a glance.
Bradman1
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Bradman1 »

So this guy moves to Cambodia has some on-line b.s. job and has to teach English part time for extra money? It sounds like he won the intelligence lottery... Bravo boy carry on.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Day one of the two day exam done.

Missus got 11-12 out of 15 on one section.

Example of question she got WRONG.

Her answer:

There are only a FEW employees around because of the holidays.

Correct answer:

There are only a LITTLE employees around because of the holidays.

From the teacher there is no explanation why the above answer is correct, only that it is the correct exam answer.

One more day of testing left before it’s good riddance to this level of ACE.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Are you sure about that? My missus did several terms at ACE (finished 12), and she never got to see specific answers to her exams. She just got the final results (which I got to see). I don't think they even allow students to go over the actual end of term exams, as students would likely keep the answers and pass them on to their friends in the lower level or something. Was it an exam or a quiz?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Bradman1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm So this guy moves to Cambodia has some on-line b.s. job and has to teach English part time for extra money? It sounds like he won the intelligence lottery... Bravo boy carry on.
I assume you are affluent then?
Is there a correlation between intelligence and life's trajectory?
It seems not, in that case

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic