Ownership/maintenance costs of a car?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Ownership/maintenance costs of a car?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Car owners: I know this is a "how long is your piece of string" question, but what are your monthly maintenance bills like? Say, for cheap older cars (like a KIA Sportage or an older CRV/pickup). I'm trying to figure out what the total cost of ownership of a car would be on a monthly basis (maintenance mostly as gas and parking can be easily figured out).

I was going to make a poll but figure it'll be easier if members just post what car they have (year/model), what price they paid for it and how much it costs them in maintenance when averaged out. I never thought I'd be looking at cars here as they're not much fun to drive around, but my personal situation might dictate the need for a car soon enough.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Ownership/maintenance costs of a car?

Post by phuketrichard »

Monthly?? Parking $30/month
more like yearly maintenance.
ok, i live in Thailand but not much difference, i have had my car in Cambodia for 10 months as well

Cambodia car repairs are cheap ( 50% less than Thailand)
Oil change every 6-7,000 kms about $30
outside of that...... not much, repairs as u need them
brakes every 50,000, tires same
Have had to repair the air coin twice ( $300 each time)
timing belt 3 times ( $75)

I have put over 270,000 on my honda civic since i brought it ( it had 60,000 on it when i did) it has been all over SE aisa

if your only doing city driving and maybe the provinces get one of the older Toyota Camry's ( but get it checked out thoroughly as there all used for long distance) not a Rav4 or crv
BUT if ur going to head up country a lot an want to be off the ground more, get the CRV,
repairs are cheap and hondas go forever.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thanks. That's actually pretty cheap.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Flexnez »

I've had 1998 CRV for the last three years. averaged out i have probably spent about $50 per month in repairs and maintenance. Repairs are cheap (change of radiator top $30 USD, change of alternator $75, shock absorbers less than $100). I usually have My car checked every three months, or before longer trips.
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

Have 2006 Ford Ranger manual diesel and mrs 2004 Kia Morning automatic petrol.
Both motors are relatively very good on fuel consumption.

When I bought the FR, I knew the alternator would need reconditioned and I also got a new battery.
Recondition alternator $50
New Battery was $70 or $72 and $5 cash back for old.

Maintenance over approx 12 months depending on use;
Oil change & new oil filter
FR $35 x 2
KM $25

Clean the AC unit & gas
FR $30
KM $15

New front brake pads and skim discs on KM
$30

Broken seal on KM - me driving over a mega pot hole
Lift engine and drop gear box, replace seal
$70

New clutch master on FR
$25 clutch master + $3 clutch oil
Labour $15

Getting FR towed across city at 5pm by a khmer mechanic laughing out the window and purposely overtaking cars
$20

New back quarter window glass on KM - dog locked itself in car with engine running
New glass & fitting $25

Couple of fuses and bulbs $5
Puncture on KM $2

Despite a few things needing fixed which is inevitable, I think It is really cheap to run a motor here.
I buy the new parts from the shop AK87 [on another forum] recommended and the owner is very good to deal with, if any barang tax added, it is minimal.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thanks. That's a pretty detailed breakdown on costs. Surprisingly cheap.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

so what's the registration, plates, insurance cost?
reflexline
Expatriate

Post by reflexline »

What are you guys paying for petrol using your car as a daily runaround?
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

reflexline wrote:What are you guys paying for petrol using your car as a daily runaround?
Daily average on Diesel is about $5 for 2-3 trips around town morning and afternoon, diesel pick up is very economical on fuel.
The Mrs car is 1.0 lt engine which is driven EVERYWHERE :? at a constant 15 mph so it would be unfair to note the MPG as it's comparable of scooter equivalent.

*More than half your time driving in PP is sitting in traffic jams or waiting for a complete tool trying to park their SUV or women driving 15 MPH EVERYWHERE %)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic