The cost of company...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
barfly
Tourist

The cost of company...

Post by barfly »

Ok here we go... This subject got me banned from another forum but it's an interesting subject on so many levels.

Many expats living here come to an arrangement whereby they give their female companions a monthly allowance.

In return, the woman agrees to live with the guy, being his companion and lover, and sometimes doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and helping with the guy's business activities.

I'm not talking about the guys living abroad, visiting here occasionally and sending regular payments to their 'girlfriends' here, (I think they are nuts) but the expats actually living here.

Some people see this as gross exploitation, others as a business transaction and some as being the same as in the west in cases where the female isn't going out to work, doesn't have a salary, and needs some daily money.

I'm interested in the amounts given. They seem to have gone up in the last year or so. It used to be $250 a month or so, but now is often over $1,000.

I'm a bar owner, so I'm constantly faced with staff coming up and telling me they are stopping work because their boyfriend doesn't like them working in a bar and is giving them x amount a month. This x amount is now $800 to $1,500 a month, plus sometimes a free apartment as well.

There's nothing I can do except shrug, wish them well and know that they may be back in six months or so if the relationship falls apart.

For those willing to discuss details it would be interesting to know the amounts and terms involved.

For me personally I give $250 a month. Most of this goes back to the family in the province to pay for her childrens' food, health, clothes and education. I also hand out $200 a month to cover all food and household items that she buys for us. Plus probably another $100 for one-off items like wedding payments, friends birthdays, taxis to the provinces etc.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The cost of company...

Post by dagenham »

Interesting topic to be sure...

I've been shopping for a $250.-all-in-gal now for years. Trouble is that they age and gravity is always cruel - unlike us white guys (with dosh). I think that the wholesale price must have jumped by now - the evidence is the dire dearth of talent in the bars these days. Seasoned warriors mostly and I'm too young for them (at nearly 60) so...

What to do?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I brought land for my gf and they grow rice on the land,
that's theirs.

as she also works , her money is her money and i take car of all bills and expenses.

Its a fair deal as our relationship has gone on for almost 5 years now
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Barfly, thanks for bringing this topic up. I started reading Cambodian forums 2 years ago when some search brought up a topic,"have you ever been given a woman". A nam vet living in SHV had his favorite tuktuk driver ask him to take in a 32 yr old who had been living with her sister and sister's husband. The husband didn't want her to stay. She spoke no english but moved in and helped cook. Over 6 months they became close, he got her english lessons and recently they got married in HK after 2 yrs.

Frankly I would do the same for a lonely lass. I would assume women over 30 might jump at the chance of security.

How did you meet your partner?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Richard, may I ask how you met? In other words "biz" vs "relationship"?

I would like to add that when I get around to selling my home (in a prime location in the city) that I would like to travel there with a prearranged "rent-a-spouse" to act as guide, companion and translator.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

From what I can gather, there is a growing trend here that girls have an expectation that a Barang suitor will not only provide monthly cash, but also buy the girl a dwelling.

I've been hearing this a fair bit lately and don't know how true to form it is, but I think it comes from a few highly successful 'grey girls', that are, perhaps, role models to some of the current working ladies.

Can you imagine anyone in the west agreeing to shack up with some bimbo on the proviso that property is handed over? Okay, maybe with 70 year old Texas oil dudes perhaps...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Joker Poker wrote:From what I can gather, there is a growing trend here that girls have an expectation that a Barang suitor will not only provide monthly cash, but also buy the girl a dwelling.

I've been hearing this a fair bit lately and don't know how true to form it is, but I think it comes from a few highly successful 'grey girls', that are, perhaps, role models to some of the current working ladies.

Can you imagine anyone in the west agreeing to shack up with some bimbo on the proviso that property is handed over? Okay, maybe with 70 year old Texas oil dudes perhaps...
You're obviously mixing in different circles to me.

Yeah, I bought my wife/family land. Built a house, blah, blah, blah, . . . .
That was like 12 - 13 years ago. It's now worth about 10 times what I paid. What's your problem.

:shock:
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Historically Concubines have had a higher status than hookers.

courtesan:
A woman prostitute, especially one whose clients are members of a royal court or men of high social standing.

How would you rank the status based on each word used?

> mistress, prostitute, whore, call girl, working girl (facetious slang), kept woman, harlot, paramour, scarlet woman, hetaera, demimondaine, fille de joie, common law, my niece, GF, 2nd wife

Last edited by Milord on Fri May 23, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

:good: Yep, I'm sure we hang out in different circles.

I'm not talking wife here, I'm talking a pre-arrangement to get a girlfriend.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Joker Poker wrote::good: Yep, I'm sure we hang out in different circles.

I'm not talking wife here, I'm talking a pre-arrangement to get a girlfriend.
A girlfriend?

Forget the house! Just smile at her parents, give them fifty bucks and tell them you'll buy them some chickens next month!
:plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic