Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Western Woman Pulled From Tuk-tuk in Angkor Wat Bag Snatch

Post by DaveG »

Bloody Hell, you lot do go off on a tangent sometimes, Did she get her handbag back !!!!!!!
blerrr9
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blerrr9 »

OMG.. Pity her so much fall to the road till like that. Hope everything gonna be resolved soon.
YOLO

Follow your heart
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:00 am
Queef wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:44 am
hanno wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 am
explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm Actually there are more people visiting Cambodia each year not less.
Find statistics on the number of people visiting Cambodia compared to the number of people visiting other Asian countries.
That has nothing to do with your original statement purporting that tourist numbers are down when they are clearly not. As to other Asian countries: Laos 3.3 million, Myanmar 2.8 million.
Well, yes and no. Tourist numbers are up. Western tourist numbers are down. There's a thread somewhere on CEO about this.
Vietnam: 15.5 million tourists in 2018. Thailand: 38.27 million tourists in 2018.

See. It's easy to selectively choose information to prove a point.
Actually what I see is it is fairly easy to make an attempt to obscure a question in order to make an answer appear to be right.

explorer stated "I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now" I showed him the fallacy of his statement and he eloquently asked that I compare the increase to other Asean nations. I obliged and proved that Cambodia had the 3rd largest increase in tourists by percentage. Now you jump into the action with a claim that explorer is partially correct because the number of "western" tourists are down. Again "I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now" is the fallacious statement, not the number of western, lefthanded or bisexual tourists. I agree that the number of western tourists is down, however, that is not the statement that desperate explorer is unable to back up with fact.
Given the tone of explorer's previous posts, it was safe to assume that he was referring to western tourists. "I believe a lot less tourist come to Cambodia now" is indeed a fallacious statement. Explorer should've been more specific.
Now if we compare Cambodia to Myanmar and Laos, we also have to compare Cambodia to Thailand and Vietnam. If you compare a 2010 Mustang to a Pinto or the very first Prius, the Mustang is going to look pretty sweet. Compare the same Mustang to a 2019 Audi S8 or Cherokee SRT8 and you're gonna find yourself with a $800/month car payment...
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Queef wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:25 am
explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Find statistics on the number of people visiting Cambodia compared to the number of people visiting other Asian countries.
That has nothing to do with your original statement purporting that tourist numbers are down when they are clearly not. As to other Asian countries: Laos 3.3 million, Myanmar 2.8 million.
Well, yes and no. Tourist numbers are up. Western tourist numbers are down. There's a thread somewhere on CEO about this.
Vietnam: 15.5 million tourists in 2018. Thailand: 38.27 million tourists in 2018.

Actually what I see is it is fairly easy to make an attempt to obscure a question in order to make an answer appear to be right.

explorer stated "I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now" I showed him the fallacy of his statement and he eloquently asked that I compare the increase to other Asean nations. I obliged and proved that Cambodia had the 3rd largest increase in tourists by percentage. Now you jump into the action with a claim that explorer is partially correct because the number of "western" tourists are down. Again "I believe a lot less tourists come to Cambodia now" is the fallacious statement, not the number of western, lefthanded or bisexual tourists. I agree that the number of western tourists is down, however, that is not the statement that desperate explorer is unable to back up with fact.
Given the tone of explorer's previous posts, it was safe to assume that he was referring to western tourists. "I believe a lot less tourist come to Cambodia now" is indeed a fallacious statement. Explorer should've been more specific.
Now if we compare Cambodia to Myanmar and Laos, we also have to compare Cambodia to Thailand and Vietnam. If you compare a 2010 Mustang to a Pinto or the very first Prius, the Mustang is going to look pretty sweet. Compare the same Mustang to a 2019 Audi S8 or Cherokee SRT8 and you're gonna find yourself with a $800/month car payment...
I see smoke and mirrors. Cambodia is getting more tourists not less.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

You see whatever you wanna see. Cambodia is getting more tourists and so are other countries in the region. Now that Chinese tourists are avoiding the US like the plague, Cambodia is going to have a lot more tourists coming in. Don't we all love the Chinese on this forum? :stir:
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Queef wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 am

You see whatever you wanna see. Cambodia is getting more tourists and so are other countries in the region. Now that Chinese tourists are avoiding the US like the plague, Cambodia is going to have a lot more tourists coming in. Don't we all love the Chinese on this forum? :stir:
According to the National Travel and Tourism Office, Chinese tourism to the US fell by 5.7% in 2018 to 2.9 million visitors. In comparison, the US welcomed more than 3 million Chinese visitors in 2016 and 2017. https://www.traveldailymedia.com/chines ... slows-down

PHNOM PENH, Dec. 12 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia attracted 1.62 million Chinese visitors during the first 10 months of 2018, up 71.5 percent over the same period last year, said a Cambodian Tourism Ministry's report released on Wednesday http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-1 ... 669092.htm

So there are a 100,000 to 150,000 fewer Chinese travelling to the USA than in years past a 5.7% decrease and Cambodia has had a 71% increase in Chinese tourists. If all the Chinese that would have gone to America decided to go to Cambodia the number of Chinese you see on the streets of PP and Snook would increase by 4%. You wouldn t notice the difference. Still a way too many of the rude, noisy and self-centred arrogant bastards for my taste. But then I am not keen on Russians either
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 am
Queef wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 am

According to the National Travel and Tourism Office, Chinese tourism to the US fell by 5.7% in 2018 to 2.9 million visitors. In comparison, the US welcomed more than 3 million Chinese visitors in 2016 and 2017. https://www.traveldailymedia.com/chines ... slows-down

PHNOM PENH, Dec. 12 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia attracted 1.62 million Chinese visitors during the first 10 months of 2018, up 71.5 percent over the same period last year, said a Cambodian Tourism Ministry's report released on Wednesday http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-1 ... 669092.htm

So there are a 100,000 to 150,000 fewer Chinese travelling to the USA than in years past a 5.7% decrease and Cambodia has had a 71% increase in Chinese tourists. If all the Chinese that would have gone to America decided to go to Cambodia the number of Chinese you see on the streets of PP and Snook would increase by 4%. You wouldn t notice the difference. Still a way too many of the rude, noisy and self-centred arrogant bastards for my taste. But then I am not keen on Russians either
Chinese boycotting the US en masse is fairly recent. It has been going on for a few years now, but the Huawei scandal/ trade skirmish seems to be the last nail in the coffin. I would like to see the updated numbers for 2019. I said the US, but the EU has had its fair share of bad publicity in China as well.
4% doesn't seem like much, but trust me, you would notice the difference (i.e. more businesses catering to Chinese people. More western/ local businesses going out of business. More Chinese tour operators in SR. More Chinese fuckery. More development. More incentives to attract more tourists. the list goes on). Let's keep in mind that BRI also includes a cultural aspect, and in Cambodia it translates into increasing Chinese tourists influx.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Queef wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:32 am4% doesn't seem like much, but trust me, you would notice the difference (i.e. more businesses catering to Chinese people. More western/ local businesses going out of business. More Chinese tour operators in SR. More Chinese fuckery. More development. More incentives to attract more tourists. the list goes on). Let's keep in mind that BRI also includes a cultural aspect, and in Cambodia it translates into increasing Chinese tourists influx.
More innocent road dividers getting hurt.....
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Any new news about the robbed lady?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic