Drunk Korean Takes on Bar Girls in Phnom Penh Night Bar

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: On May 30, 2019, at 02:35am, an unidentified Korean man was attacked by bar girls causing injury to his head, in I Get You, Bar, in Sangkat Psar Kandal1, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh.
Before the incident, the Korean man went to I Get You, Bar with a group of friends. After that, he argued with the bar girls, and a fight started, causing the Korean to get injured on his head.
The Korean translator said those girls had asked for too much money, but the bar staff said the fight was caused by the Korean man who was very drunk and refused to pay the bill.

After the incident, both the Korean man and the bar girls went to file a complaint at the police station.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drunk Korean Takes on Bar Girls in Phnom Penh Night Bar

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well, it is called the 'I get you, bar'.. :boxing:

But seriously, I can't help but speculate these sort of problems are largely caused by 'lost in translation'. These koreans and chinese usually don't speak a word of english which is pretty much the universal language in the hostess bars.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:28 pm But seriously, I can't help but speculate these sort of problems are largely caused by 'lost in translation'. These koreans and chinese usually don't speak a word of english which is pretty much the universal language in the hostess bars.
Some of them would be.

There are others which charge more than the customer actually owes. Another scam.

Some drunk people can be stupid too.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:28 pm But seriously, I can't help but speculate these sort of problems are largely caused by 'lost in translation'. These koreans and chinese usually don't speak a word of english which is pretty much the universal language in the hostess bars.
Some of them would be.

There are others which charge more than the customer actually owes. Another scam.

Some drunk people can be stupid too.
@explorer. Yes explorer, as you have so often said, people who speak Khmer will have less problems with communication in Cambodia, and, thoughtfully, you have pointed this out to us many times on the forum.
Many Cambodian bar girls are not fluent in Korean or Mandarin, but they do speak Khmer and English. IMO it is a customer problem, so I wouldn't blame the language problems on the bargirls, who are largely uneducated and/or illiterate, but who still get by speaking a second language - English for most of them. That is not nothing.

You say that some of us on the forum are quick to defend the Khmer criminals and the whores in Cambodian society, which may be true, but I find you too quick to accuse certain people of crimes just because they are Cambodian, and to give a pass to foreigners whatever their nationality or behavior. Not saying that there are not Khmer low-life, but like everywhere there are also a lot of nice people out there too. Even among the whores and the tuktuk drivers.
Less judgement on different opinions and cultures, and chill out more. That's my opinion on your opinion. Best. ;-)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The business model of hostess bars is based largely on the alpha male syndrome. The guy buys a load of drinks, impresses the girls, they look at him like he is a superhero, he gets that wonderful alpha male feeling inside. The bar earns a massive mark-up on the cost of the lady drinks. The girls earn a modest amount from being bought drinks. Possibly some extra drinks are added to the bill because they can see the customer is too busy acting the alpha male to pay attention to details. The customer calls for the bill, gets a nasty shock, exits alpha male mode, enters angry customer mode. Argument ensues. It's not about language. Everyone is communicating well enough to understand what is going on. Asian men are more inclined to act the alpha male, that's all. Dealing with their anger and getting them to pay is part of the job of running a bar, or working in it because if the customer doesn't pay the boss will take it out of the girls' salary.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The customer calls for the bill, gets a nasty shock, exits alpha male mode, enters angry customer mode.
Lol. Before the bill - alpha male. :OD: After the bill, angry customer. :boxing:
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The Nigerians play a different game. I heard this story the other day. They know the alpha male game is implausible for them in PP and anyway they don't want to spend big money. They also have a hard time getting girls to go with them. So this one bought a girl a drink and then asked to barfine her. When she said no, he said he will not pay for her drink. In this case the boss let it go as it was only one drink.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

armchairlawyer wrote:The guy buys a load of drinks, impresses the girls, they look at him like he is a superhero, he gets that wonderful alpha male feeling inside.
Possibly some extra drinks are added to the bill because they can see the customer is too busy acting the alpha male to pay attention to details.
The customer calls for the bill, gets a nasty shock, exits alpha male mode, enters angry customer mode. Argument ensues. It's not about language. Everyone is communicating well enough to understand what is going on.
This is quite common I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic