Can Old Men (60) Teach English in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Can Old Men (60) Teach English in Cambodia?

Post by kritsana77 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:30 pm
simon43 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm Also slightly OT, there are many well-paid ($3,000 USD/month for experienced teachers), teaching jobs in Myanmar (Burma), and with no age-limit (they prefer older teachers who want to stay in employment with the school for yonks...).

Oh, I forgot to add that you are as old as you feel. 60 years is not necessarily 'old'.
Correct but NOT for anyone ONLY holding a tefl /celta degree.
they must be real teachers with the diplomas to back it up.

Friend of mine used to run the IT dept and teaches IT at the International American hs in Yangon got a job in Bombay paying even more than he was making in Yangon, along with perks for his wife.
Richard or Simon I have masters degree in International Relations could you please pm me with any information on these jobs. Thank you
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kritsana77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm Richard or Simon I have masters degree in International Relations could you please pm me with any information on these jobs. Thank you
That's interesting. You should apply at universities then. I heard of one place starting off a program in that, I'll get back to you when I remember some details.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:32 pm
kritsana77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm Richard or Simon I have masters degree in International Relations could you please pm me with any information on these jobs. Thank you
That's interesting. You should apply at universities then. I heard of one place starting off a program in that, I'll get back to you when I remember some details.
Thank you. That would be great.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

kritsana77 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:30 pm
simon43 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm Also slightly OT, there are many well-paid ($3,000 USD/month for experienced teachers), teaching jobs in Myanmar (Burma), and with no age-limit (they prefer older teachers who want to stay in employment with the school for yonks...).

Oh, I forgot to add that you are as old as you feel. 60 years is not necessarily 'old'.
Correct but NOT for anyone ONLY holding a tefl /celta degree.
they must be real teachers with the diplomas to back it up.

Friend of mine used to run the IT dept and teaches IT at the International American hs in Yangon got a job in Bombay paying even more than he was making in Yangon, along with perks for his wife.
Richard or Simon I have masters degree in International Relations could you please pm me with any information on these jobs. Thank you
HI, My friend got offered his new job in Bombay at the job fair held in Bangkok every year>
not sure what a degree in International Relations would mean for teaching hs students in SE aisa.

He gave me these sites to look at for job fairs:

https://iss-schrole.com/
https://www.searchassociates.com/
https://www.tieonline.com/

good luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tefl online pro »

Firstly, 'old' is only how you feel you are, or how others feel they feel you should feel.

It's true that if you are a pretty, white woman in her twenties then you would be fighting off the job offers with a barge pole.

A lot of schools like to employ younger teachers because they can boss them about a bit more and feel that they are more manageable.

You will find teaching work, but it won't be a walk in the park. My personal advice would be to push the notion that you are experienced (both in life and education) and that you are not typically going to be rushing off to another country on impulse as some younger teachers do.

If you believe you can do something then you will succeed. And, I wish you the very best of success!
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

Doug wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am :wink: I am 60 and married to Chinese women.I reside in china on residents permit. Not allowed to teach English here. Can't have work visa and marriage visa together etc.(all though I did a bit anyway. )
Does same apply in Cambodia?
Are all the English teachers 'young' like here in prc?
Try Brazil or South America. The climate is great, food tasty, great music, and no restrictions on age. I am 42 now and in 18 years that is where I will likely go.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

I've read/heard the money isn't very good for teaching English in South America. Any tips on particular countries or cities where the pay might be better than the rest?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic