School year and when to apply?

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

School year and when to apply?

Post by Nixon »

Hi!

My first post and I apologize in advance if my question should be considered as general knowledge

How does the school year work here in Cambodia? I understand that there is summer break coming up soon. So, with that summer break in mind, when should I start apply for a teaching position?

Any tips on schools that are hiring now?

Thanks
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

Re: School year and when to apply?

Post by tefl online pro »

Hi there Nixon.

The school year consists of usually two terms or semesters: term 1 from mid May to mid October and then term 2 from early November to mid March. Summer holiday is from mid March to mid May. International schools may follow a slightly different calendar.

It is possible to find teaching work at any time in the year but the best times to look are close to the beginnings of the new school semester.
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ That doesn't look like the Cambodian school terms to me.

"Summer holiday is from mid March to mid May" Really? Which school is that?
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

A little bit hard to draw any conclusions from the replies..

Anyway. I am new in Phnom Penh and looking for work. I have some experience teaching ESL and a TESOL certificate.

My main career has been in media/broadcasting with several management positions. Here in Cambodia I would be happy to teach English and if anyone has any tips/suggestions about getting a job it would be very much appreciated.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

School years here aren't that important, as there are so many schools following different schedules. Some private language centers do mirror the national school schedule by offering lessons in the morning/ afternoon that work along with the student's schedule. International schools tend to follow a different schedule to allow for "summer", "xmas" and suchlike. There are all sorts of other places working all around the year.
Nixon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm My main career has been in media/broadcasting with several management positions.
I'd recommend looking at working in those fields then, or teaching related subjects.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 pm School years here aren't that important, as there are so many schools following different schedules. Some private language centers do mirror the national school schedule by offering lessons in the morning/ afternoon that work along with the student's schedule. International schools tend to follow a different schedule to allow for "summer", "xmas" and suchlike. There are all sorts of other places working all around the year.
Nixon wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm My main career has been in media/broadcasting with several management positions.
I'd recommend looking at working in those fields then, or teaching related subjects.
Thank you for a post that makes sense:)

I have meetings booked with PNN and CTN but like I wrote, any tips are appreciated when one just arrived
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

Hi there,
in most international schools in Phnom Penh, the school-year will start mid-August and go until mid-June with a 3 weeks break in December. The "big players" like ISPP, Northbridge, CIS, BSPP etc. will start their recruitments as early as December, therefore you are a bit late for applying for the next school-year starting next August. These schools will require a "Police Letter" or "Criminal Record check" from your home-country so you should request for one asap, but most local schools will (unfortunately) not bother asking for one. Good luck in your search!
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

Bibi wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:18 pm Hi there,
in most international schools in Phnom Penh, the school-year will start mid-August and go until mid-June with a 3 weeks break in December. The "big players" like ISPP, Northbridge, CIS, BSPP etc. will start their recruitments as early as December, therefore you are a bit late for applying for the next school-year starting next August. These schools will require a "Police Letter" or "Criminal Record check" from your home-country so you should request for one asap, but most local schools, or any employer will (unfortunately) not bother asking for one. Good luck in your search!

Thank you for the reply!

Update:

I’ve got a job now so this post is a little bit out of date. I appreciate your note about police clearance but I am the kind of person who attaches that regardless of being asked for it or not. Scrolling through some posts in “newsworthy” I think schools, or any employer for that matter, in Cambodia should ask any potential candidate for that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic