Various Noob Questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
EarlyCuyler
Tourist
United States of America

Various Noob Questions

Post by EarlyCuyler »

I've lurked for a while, but now I gotta stop peeping in the windows and actually type stuff.

So, I'll be in Siem Reap for at least a month or two later this year and I'm trying to gameplan as best I can with limited knowledge about what the future holds. I'm American and know I'm going to be teaching English, but I'm not sure where as of yet. I'll likely be applying for work in China from Cambodia and, depending on how long that process will end up taking, I may just do a contract in Cambodia before moving on to China. That said, I'd like to know these things:

1. I don't have previous teaching experience, but I'll have a notarized BA from a brick and mortar American university, clean background check, and a CELTA. I'm under the impression I'll be able to get a job at $1200-$1500 USD a month in Phnomn Penh and ~10% less in Siem Reap without too much struggle - Is this correct?

2. I'm planning on getting a work visa at the airport just in case I end up staying, but have read there can be problems getting into the country without proof of onward travel - Will a bus ticket to Vietnam or someplace else that isn't Cambodia for some date within 30 days of my flight arrival be sufficient?

3. I'll want a bicycle in Siem Reap - How does one go about procuring one of those for cheap? I'm not anything like a serious cyclist; it can be a 1-speed with a basket/horn/basket+horn or whatever.

Thanks in advance.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Various Noob Questions

Post by epidemiks »

EarlyCuyler wrote:I've lurked for a while, but now I gotta stop peeping in the windows and actually type stuff.

So, I'll be in Siem Reap for at least a month or two later this year and I'm trying to gameplan as best I can with limited knowledge about what the future holds. I'm American and know I'm going to be teaching English, but I'm not sure where as of yet. I'll likely be applying for work in China from Cambodia and, depending on how long that process will end up taking, I may just do a contract in Cambodia before moving on to China. That said, I'd like to know these things:

1. I don't have previous teaching experience, but I'll have a notarized BA from a brick and mortar American university, clean background check, and a CELTA. I'm under the impression I'll be able to get a job at $1200-$1500 USD a month in Phnomn Penh and ~10% less in Siem Reap without too much struggle - Is this correct?

2. I'm planning on getting a work visa at the airport just in case I end up staying, but have read there can be problems getting into the country without proof of onward travel - Will a bus ticket to Vietnam or someplace else that isn't Cambodia for some date within 30 days of my flight arrival be sufficient?

3. I'll want a bicycle in Siem Reap - How does one go about procuring one of those for cheap? I'm not anything like a serious cyclist; it can be a 1-speed with a basket/horn/basket+horn or whatever.

Thanks in advance.
1. Schools that require CELTA should pay you around 1500 minimum if you can find a position. No one will employ you if they know you're planning to leave after 2 months.

2. Onward travel is sometimes requested by some airlines. If they ask, offer to sign a document saying the airline is not liable to pay for your departure if you are not issued a visa on arrival.

3. Visit a used bike shop and give them around $40.
EarlyCuyler
Tourist
United States of America

Post by EarlyCuyler »

Thanks for responding.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't pull a midnight runner - If I took a job in Cambodia, I'd be there for the duration of the contract.

Something else I forgot to put in the OP: What's the gym situation like in Siem Reap? I need a place that has a squat rack (not a Smith machine) - I know Angkor Muscle gym is an option, but I'm open to other (air conditioned) suggestions.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

2 - As said above, the onward ticket from Cambodia is an airline problem. Get to the check-in as early as possible in case they decide that there is a problem. In the worst case scenario you can book a flight to Thailand or Vietnam on your smartphone and cancel it later. Or just wait around while the airline check-in person phones airline authorities to be sure that you can have a VOA (visa on arrival) in Cambodia. That has taken 30-45mns of fuffing around once or twice for me when leaving from a local airport in a western country, but it always ended ok. However, I already have a number of previous Cambodian VOA in my passport for them to see.

3- For buying a used bike, when you decide where you want to live, then check out local FB groups in PP or SR for expats who are leaving and selling up. That's also good for finding a house and furniture. Good luck.
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Bikes cheap facebook groups (and lots good info) . Been asked few times for onward ticket before departure and at connect airports. Consider booking cheap onward flight or bus ticket to a destination
you might possibly use, no big deal if u don't . Bus ticket phnom Penh to saigon about 20 bucks. 50 dollar flights to bangkok or malasia. If your new traveler you might consider buying ticket to ease stress of talking your way out of it last minute. Some airport employees a real pain in the arse and don't know the rules
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

EarlyCuyler wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 am 1. I don't have previous teaching experience, but I'll have a notarized BA from a brick and mortar American university, clean background check, and a CELTA. I'm under the impression I'll be able to get a job at $1200-$1500 USD a month in Phnomn Penh and ~10% less in Siem Reap without too much struggle - Is this correct?

1. Some people make good teachers and others dont. Do you think you will be a good teacher, or are you just doing it for the money? I dont think your age matters if you have the right attitude.

2. I expect you wont have any problems getting a visa on arrival, without onward tickets.

3. Get a mountain bike. They are so much better to ride than girls bikes.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If the teaching gig doesn’t work out, you can convert your bike into a business.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
EarlyCuyler
Tourist
United States of America

Post by EarlyCuyler »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:41 am Image

If the teaching gig doesn’t work out, you can convert your bike into a business.
I reckon I'll be combining that retail model with this sales model:

I'm gonna start making the powerpoint for the investor presentation. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll give you 12%.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Is that 12% of the gross or net?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
EarlyCuyler
Tourist
United States of America

Post by EarlyCuyler »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 am Is that 12% of the gross or net?
Net, obviously. I'm not running a charity over here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic