Going from Phnom Penh to Ha Tien border crossing

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
toke_n_choke
Tourist
Vietnam

Going from Phnom Penh to Ha Tien border crossing

Post by toke_n_choke »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum here and seeking some advice.

I plan to travel from Phnom Penh to Phu Quoc Island in Vietnam, and I'm aware that the quickest way is through the Ha Tien border crossing.

One option I'm exploring is travelling on my own motorbike. The bike has a Cambodian license plate, am I allowed to take that with me through the border into Vietnam and keep riding it? Not sure about this process as I don't see anybody doing it.

If motorcycle isn't an option, what alternative do I have to get to Ha Tien?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Going from Phnom Penh to Ha Tien border crossing

Post by frank lee bent »

Don't know about the Moto, but you will go via Kampot in any case.
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

i do that crossing more than any man alive. no problem to go with a moto. there are a few things you should know though.
1. when riding in to the Cambodian Immigration Office there is no need to stop at the first little guard shack. ride in, slowly, and then park along th side road area to the left in front of the stairs. probably a few other moto's parked there.
2. go in and get your exit stamp. no need to tell them you are on a moto just don't go in wearing your helmet.
3. ride out slowly towards vietnam. there is another guard shack at the end of the Cambodian side. they may stop you just to check your stamped. again... they don't care about the moto.
4. ride to the Vietnam side. first guard shack, get off, they will ask for your passport. they will ask "where you go". just say "Vietnam".
5. push the moto up to the main building. go in and give them your passport. if you look a little green, you may have to fill out a health report first and pay a dollar.
6. must have your visa already
7. when they ask "where you go", again... just say "Vietnam". they don't know (or care) that you are on a moto either.
8. after getting your stamp, push the moto to the next guard shack. they will ask for your passport. they may also ask "where you go". tell them Ha Tien.
that should do it. get on the moto and ride into town. the boats to the island are over the bridge and to the left. Super Dong.
the reason for just saying "vietnam" is to avoid the complications of you riding all over the country from there. it's still alright ( i do it) but if your just going to the island it's just fine to say "I GO VIETNAM" and smile.

have fun, it's a great place and a fun ride.
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

and you do not have to go through Kampot. from Phnom Penh on the 3 take the turn off to Kampong Trac and follow the road down until the left turn to the boarder. did it yesterday.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

OP does not need a visa if he is from one of the exempt countries, unless he wants to stay more than 2 weeks or has been in Vietnam in the past 2 months.
At Ha Tien, you can choose from a selection of different companies and different destinations in Phu Quoc. One of the companies was recently offering a 20% discount on fares to Da Chong.
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

that's correct. some countries are excluded from needing a visa exactly as you say.
i assumed he was an american by the way typed.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Try to avoid crossing between about 11am to 12.30. Thats when all the backpacker vans go thru.Long delays.

'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic