Dim Sum Emperors

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Dim Sum Emperors

Post by newkidontheblock »

Finally got to have dim sum in Phnom Penh.

Went to the Dim Sum Emperors near Phsar Thmey (Central Market).

Second floor restaurant. Nice place setting layout.

Extensive menu. Both multi page fold out and a book menu as well.

Started off with the Dim Sum for Two. Good value.

Has all the standards. Har Kow, Shu Mai, short ribs, rice steamed in leaves, several different styles of buns, etc.

Then had some more.

Hainese Chicken

Roast crispy pork

Chinese vegetable with mushrooms

Orange flavor pork

Salt pepper fried shrimp

Shrimp Shu Mai

Crispy fish. The fish is pre-shaped so the garnishes sit in the center.

Overall, yummy.

I’m stuffed.

All that food for around 100 dollars.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dim Sum Emperors

Post by John Bingham »

Looks good but I don't think I'd have got past the first dish.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:Looks good but I don't think I'd have got past the first dish.
But that’s Dim Sum - for two! Meant to be shared with your better half and the kids. The presentation was great - all the dishes came in a giant steamer with the lid on, the waiter lifted up the lid revealing all the dishes inside. Each dish is bite size portions of a different food.

Didn’t have the New York Chinatown experience. No big table for 10 (or 20) people with multiple random families sharing a table.

Old ladies would push carts up and down the aisles between the tables. Each cart had a dish, or a couple. The ladies would call out what dish was being pushed. Part of fun was stopping a cart and checking out what was being offered inside. The other part was seeing what other families were eating and comparing dishes. Also drinking copious amounts of hot tea to not fall asleep while sampling different dishes. And the smell of different foods, the noisiness, the fun of discovery.

Unfortunately everything has to ordered off the extensive picture menu at Dim Sum Emperors.

And the waitress dropped the coconut cake on the floor.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Food looks great!! Tad pricey but yah on vaca so live it up.... My question is how in the bloody heck u manage to eat all that stuff hahahaha... Shrimp sui mai looks kind of wak though
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Dim sum emperor is ok, but a little overpriced for the quality.

Sofitel does a 4 hour dim sum with free flow beer and wine every Saturday for 28++.
ozguyinshv
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ozguyinshv »

epidemiks wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 pm Dim sum emperor is ok, but a little overpriced for the quality.

Sofitel does a 4 hour dim sum with free flow beer and wine every Saturday for 28++.
The sofitel dim sum isn't bad. I used to play squash there and have dim sum afterwards
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

If Sofitel dim sum was 28++ with drinks for 8 people the I would say it’s a bargain and put it on the list of must go places. If it’s 28++ for a single person then that’s pricey for me. Is it possible to eat dim sum for 3-4 hrs?

Dim Sum Emperors was a little over $100 for 8 people or $12.50 per person. How is that pricey compared to Sofitel?

And yes, there was plenty of food to take home.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

newkidontheblock wrote:If Sofitel dim sum was 28++ with drinks for 8 people the I would say it’s a bargain and put it on the list of must go places. If it’s 28++ for a single person then that’s pricey for me. Is it possible to eat dim sum for 3-4 hrs?

Dim Sum Emperors was a little over $100 for 8 people or $12.50 per person. How is that pricey compared to Sofitel?

And yes, there was plenty of food to take home.
Pricey for the quality of food and ambience, imo. The cockroaches that are invariably running around your feet at that place made me stop going.

The sofitel wasn't a like for like comparison, just noting that it's a good deal for a group who want to eat and drink copiously for four hours.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am
I thought that it was just you and the wife, that's why I was wondering how you could eat that much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic