De Dean guesthouse in Koh Kong town

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

De Dean guesthouse in Koh Kong town

Post by tefl online pro »

I thought I should bring reader's attentions to the experience which I had last week at this guesthouse.

Originally, I wanted to stay at Rozana guesthouse: run by a lovely family and having stayed there I never experienced any issues at all.

Because of the religious holiday, they were booked up and so I decided to return to the De Dean guesthouse, close to the river.

The price the the $5 room I paid a few years ago had risen to $7 but as I was wanting to stay for 12 nights I managed to negotiate that price down to $6 per night.

The internet was very good, but the room had taken a turn for the worse, with the window no fully closing properly.

To cut a long story short, I had to leave after 3 days and I asked if a refund of my remaining 9 nights stay were possible. I was willing to have the calculate the first 3 nights at $7.

After a lot of to and fro with the female owner and her husband they claimed the price per night was $10 because I had used the shower in the room.

In the end I lost out only on $5.

When I returned to my room I wanted to go outside on the balcony for a smoke and I left my card key locked in my room. When I went down to reception I picked up a key which I thought was the spare key to my room, but was in fact for another room. I tried it anyway, and it worked. I went downstairs again and took up 5 different keys for 5 different rooms and they all opened my door.

I advice anyone looking to rent accommodation at this guesthouse to be extremely cautious.
Last edited by tefl online pro on Sun May 26, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get qualified to teach English abroad with https://teflonlinepro.com/
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: De Dean guesthouse in Koh Kong town

Post by whatwat »

Is this just a plug for Fat Sams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

No it wasn't meant to be a plug for him. I deleted the reference. I think you could see that the core content was about my experience at De Deans guesthouse.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

:D :D :D
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Riveting story
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

"King" Keil? You wouldn't be compensating for something would you?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I really want to hear about Fat Sam's.
Where is it?
What is it?
Is it worth a visit?

You've told us where 'not' to go, now tell us 'where' to go (in KK). Apart from Fat Sam's, any other places worthy of a mention.

We don't get much up to date info about Koh Kong town, so fresh info is always welcome.
tefl online pro
Tourist
United States of America

If I recommend a place, I will be guilty of advertising a place. I only mentioned Fat Sams because I wanted to lighten my post. Rozana was always my go-to place. I must write that this forum is very aggressive. I was only wanting to warn people against checking into De DEan because of my personal experience. I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition :)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:11 pm I really want to hear about Fat Sam's.
Where is it?
What is it?
Is it worth a visit?

You've told us where 'not' to go, now tell us 'where' to go (in KK). Apart from Fat Sam's, any other places worthy of a mention.

We don't get much up to date info about Koh Kong town, so fresh info is always welcome.
tefl online pro wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 pm If I recommend a place, I will be guilty of advertising a place. I only mentioned Fat Sams because I wanted to lighten my post. Rozana was always my go-to place. I must write that this forum is very aggressive. I was only wanting to warn people against checking into De DEan because of my personal experience. I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition :)
@ TOP. Nah. You can say what you want here. Advertising good experiences is ok as long as you don't spam every thread on the forum. ;)
Please feel free to post about Koh Kong. As UT says, we don't get much info on that town. Don't be put off by one or two posters. I went through KK about a month ago but didn't stop. Did I miss something ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic