Retirement visa changes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Retirement visa changes?

Post by ExPenhMan »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am
takeoman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 am The following details may be helpful:- I year extension $288 taking approx. 15 days, 1 day express service if you pay an extra $70,thumbprint and sign a letter agent will prepare for you, you need to provide your address and telephone number. :hattip:
I guess they give you a receipt with a number and you also always keep copy of ur passport and current visa.
NO traveling, :-)

ONE question. if you come in on a 30 day visa, guess u need apply right away for ur extension so you dont get caught out not having ur new extension before ur 30 day visa expires and get hit with overstay.
OR?

I was thinking the same thing. I plan a visit to PP in July to start the ER visa process and seems like I will have to plan at least 15-20 day stay.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am
takeoman wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 am The following details may be helpful:- I year extension $288 taking approx. 15 days, 1 day express service if you pay an extra $70,thumbprint and sign a letter agent will prepare for you, you need to provide your address and telephone number. :hattip:
I guess they give you a receipt with a number and you also always keep copy of ur passport and current visa.
NO traveling, :-)

ONE question. if you come in on a 30 day visa, guess u need apply right away for ur extension so you dont get caught out not having ur new extension before ur 30 day visa expires and get hit with overstay.
OR?
Yes, you should alway make a copy full size of main passport page and current EOS from copy shop. Have them laminated back to back and carry that with you don't walk around with your passport. Only use actual passport for travel and trips to embassy.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

For peace of mind, you can apply early for the extn before the visa expiry however my understanding is that they will nevertheless extend from the visa expiry anyway. So, let's say you hand in the application 1 week before expiry and it take 2 weeks to process, you will receive it back 1 week after expiry with the extn backdated from the the expiry date. The main thing is to ensure to apply before the visa expires...but heck, as mentioned why not photocopy everything and put it in early?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Tarndog wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am
ned kelly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Anyone heard of this change?
Yes, I thumbprinted a letter stating how much I spent every month. Had to pay $5 for the letter (which the agent drafted after asking me how much I spent).
So you got the letter from the agent, but handled the extension yourself separately?
No, the agent did everything.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am
ned kelly wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am Theres an agent in Kampot saying as of this year you need a letter of retirement,previously you only needed to be over 55.

Yes, I thumbprinted a letter stating how much I spent every month. Had to pay $5 for the letter (which the agent drafted after asking me how much I spent).
So you got the letter from the agent, but handled the extension yourself separately?
I applied for my for ER EOS last year.
The agent I used told me has I was 55 that I need not supply proof. That said I didn't need any kick back, and I had read somewhere over 55. So I gave the agent proof of retirement. I also heard of mixed story's at the time about the letter mentioned, but one was not produced to me at the time.
On renewal recently, no proof required but a letter supplied by the agent free of charge, signed and thumbprint, declaring that you will not work. Price at the agent $288.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am

Presumably, for the corruption fee of about $120. Plus the $180 actual 1 year visa fee, out the door of $300. That's wrong that they dick everyone around like this.
Whatsupdoc
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Whatsupdoc »

Back from Lucky Motorbikes where I tried to apply for a retirement visa. I am over 55 years old, and I currently have an EG visa of 6 months that expires on July 9, 2019.
Some months ago, when I applied for the 6 months extension visa, they told me it would be no problem to apply for the retirement visa.
Now today, I'm being told that I have to leave the country, get back on a normal tourist visa, then apply for the retirement visa.
Well... if I would have know... I flew in this afternoon from Vietnam.
Any suggestions ?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king - Erasmus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Now today, I'm being told that I have to leave the country, get back on a normal tourist visa, then apply for the retirement visa.

You need come in on a NEW ORDINARY,( $35) visa NOT a tourist visa..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Whatsupdoc wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:44 pm Any suggestions ?
Maybe try a different agent.

I know that others were able to change from EG to EB without having to do a border run. Not sure about EG to ER though. Might be worth asking around.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Try Cina Travel on 130 near Sharkys, they have successfully managed to convert people from an EG to ER, EB, etc without needing to leave the country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic