expressing "when"in khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Re: expressing "when"in khmer

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am '
Ok thanks.
Now ពេលណា is also used for the future,correct? in that regard is it interchangeable with អង្កាល់?is ពេលណា just more colloquial?
Yes, it's interchangeable, but I think there's a very small difference between ពេលណា (peel na - what time) and អង្កាល់ (when).

If you ask ពេលណា you would expect an answer like 'in an hour', 'two o'clock' or another more or less specific reply. If you ask អង្កាល់ you might get an answer 'in two weeks', 'in a few days'. I might be off, but I have the feeling you use អង្កាល់ when it's difficult to precisely pinpoint 'when' it will happen.
theres quite a few, Pel, Ongkal or more commonly just Kal, Velea
Ongkal / Kal / Pel = Time, moment, period in time etc.
Velea = actual Time, you would often hear Pel+Velea together

for Kal (Ongkal), its common, you hear it in a lot of words like Kal Pi - on/at/in/during (a certain date/time), Kal Pi Mun - Previously, Kal Mun - Before, Kal Ber - If/When, Kal Nuh - Then etc...
same with Pel, Pel Nih - Now, Pel Mun - before, Pel Tngai/Yub - Daytime/nighttime, Pel Kraoy - Another/later/next time, Pel Klah - Sometimes, Pel Dtomner - Sparetime etc...

Na is used with them all which obviously just means What/Which (time) making it = When? (question) when just a statement you would just say Pel/Kal
:thumb:
Hey thanks very informative.
Only problem is that you used roman script which i can't read when used in khmer.
I figured most out but what is veal?
Thx again:)
sorry i usually reply in Khmer script as i hate romanising Khmer as its never accurate but was only making a quick response

Velea is វេលា
Hey thanks!
I also hate romanized script and csn't understand it half the time since I only use khmer script.
វេលាi've never heard before but at least when it's written in khmer I can look it up in the dictionary.
Cheers man
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:15 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Yes, it's interchangeable, but I think there's a very small difference between ពេលណា (peel na - what time) and អង្កាល់ (when).

If you ask ពេលណា you would expect an answer like 'in an hour', 'two o'clock' or another more or less specific reply. If you ask អង្កាល់ you might get an answer 'in two weeks', 'in a few days'. I might be off, but I have the feeling you use អង្កាល់ when it's difficult to precisely pinpoint 'when' it will happen.

for Kal (Ongkal), its common, you hear it in a lot of words like Kal Pi - on/at/in/during (a certain date/time), Kal Pi Mun - Previously, Kal Mun - Before, Kal Ber - If/When, Kal Nuh - Then etc...
same with Pel, Pel Nih - Now, Pel Mun - before, Pel Tngai/Yub - Daytime/nighttime, Pel Kraoy - Another/later/next time, Pel Klah - Sometimes, Pel Dtomner - Sparetime etc...

Na is used with them all which obviously just means What/Which (time) making it = When? (question) when just a statement you would just say Pel/Kal
Only problem is that you used roman script which i can't read when used in khmer.
sorry i usually reply in Khmer script as i hate romanising Khmer as its never accurate but was only making a quick response

Velea is វេលា
Hey thanks!
I also hate romanized script and csn't understand it half the time since I only use khmer script.
វេលាi've never heard before but at least when it's written in khmer I can look it up in the dictionary.
Cheers man
heres a few popular songs i know that use the word bro (theres loads more)...

នឹកគ្រប់វេលា - Nuk Krub Velea - Miss all the time

ដល់វេលាត្រូវសារភាព - Dol Velea Trov Sar Peap (sne bong) - Its time to confess (my love for you)

ពេលវេលា - Pel Velea - The Time...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Velea is វេលា
Hey thanks!
Cheers man
heres a few popular songs i know that use the word bro (theres loads more)...

នឹកគ្រប់វេលា - Nuk Krub Velea - Miss all the time

ដល់វេលាត្រូវសារភាព - Dol Velea Trov Sar Peap (sne bong) - Its time to confess (my love for you)

ពេលវេលា - Pel Velea - The Time...
Thanks I'll definitely give those songs a listen.
It's been recommended for me to use khmer music to improve my language ability..just haven't gotten around to it yet :bow:
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I'm retired so I don't, at this stage, want to learn to read their writing so I just need to be able to make and understand ordinary conversation. Theres no script to read in talking, just memorising word sounds. I write plenty of words down to help me remember but rarely write them as dictionaries write them but as as near as I can to how they sound. So what I'm getting to - I guess pel or peel as is written here is actually pronounced as 'bel'. Is that right? 'Kal' - is that pronounced with a 'g' as in 'gal'. In dictionaries many words starting with 'k' and 'g' seem to be reversed. Also 'kal nuh' for then. In conversation you would normally be talking past or future so would you say 'kal nuh grouee' or 'kal nuh mun' or is that just complicating things so just leave the 'nuh' out. Learning a new language is challenging for an old brain but I enjoy it all the same. Cheers.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

Roadie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:20 am I'm retired so I don't, at this stage, want to learn to read their writing so I just need to be able to make and understand ordinary conversation. Theres no script to read in talking, just memorising word sounds. I write plenty of words down to help me remember but rarely write them as dictionaries write them but as as near as I can to how they sound. So what I'm getting to - I guess pel or peel as is written here is actually pronounced as 'bel' and also 'pi' I'm guessing is pronounced 'bee'. Is that right? 'Kal' - is that pronounced with a 'g' as in 'gal'. In dictionaries many words starting with 'k' and 'g' seem to be reversed. Also 'kal nuh' for then. In conversation you would normally be talking past or future so would you say 'kal nuh grouee' or 'kal nuh mun' or is that just complicating things so just leave the 'nuh' out. Learning a new language is challenging for an old brain but I enjoy it all the same. Cheers.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Roadie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:20 am I'm retired so I don't, at this stage, want to learn to read their writing so I just need to be able to make and understand ordinary conversation. Theres no script to read in talking, just memorising word sounds. I write plenty of words down to help me remember but rarely write them as dictionaries write them but as as near as I can to how they sound. So what I'm getting to - I guess pel or peel as is written here is actually pronounced as 'bel'. Is that right? 'Kal' - is that pronounced with a 'g' as in 'gal'. In dictionaries many words starting with 'k' and 'g' seem to be reversed. Also 'kal nuh' for then. In conversation you would normally be talking past or future so would you say 'kal nuh grouee' or 'kal nuh mun' or is that just complicating things so just leave the 'nuh' out. Learning a new language is challenging for an old brain but I enjoy it all the same. Cheers.
the trouble you, and others will find, is that there are consonants in Khmer that dont exist in Latin script,
the K/G issue you have is that it is neither a K or a G, it is a sound which is somewhere in between a "Guh" and a "Kuh" sound,
in Khmer there is a a clean "B" consonant, but the B/P consonant you are talking about is neither a B or a P, and again its somewhere in between a "Bee" and a "Pee" sound,
this is why learning the alphabet makes learning Khmer much easier when learning to pronounce words, and why a lot of people mispronounce words

yeah you would leave the "Nuh" out
"Kal Nuh/Pel Nuh" = Then, directly translated as "That Time/That Moment"
"Kal Mun/Kal Pi Mun/Pi Mun" = Before/Previously, directly translated as "Time/Moment before",
"Pel Kraoy" = Later/Next time/Another time/At a later date, directly translated as "Next Time"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

Thanks for that. Definately not easy to make the right sounds. Seems very few people have heard a barang say anything other than hello and thankyou so it makes a chuckle for them listening to my accent, and trying to understand me, though its me thats worse at understanding them. Lucky I have patience, and some helpers. Thanks guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic