Watching downloaded movies on a Chromebook

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Watching downloaded movies on a Chromebook

Post by bittermelon »

I find that more than half of the movies i have on my external harddrive are unwatchable on my Chromebook. Installed vlc for chromebook which let me watch a few more. have googled this problem but haven't found a solution. I guess this is just the tradeoff with buying a lowcost chromebook- its designed for use with the google "ecosystem" ?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Watching downloaded movies on a Chromebook

Post by timmydownawell »

Do they play ok if you transfer them from the hard drive to the Chromebook? It might be the external drive isn't getting sufficient power from the USB. Is the drive plugged into a blue (USB3) USB port?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
chrispeddler
Tourist

Post by chrispeddler »

bittermelon wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am I find that more than half of the movies i have on my external harddrive are unwatchable on my Chromebook. Installed vlc for chromebook which let me watch a few more. have googled this problem but haven't found a solution. I guess this is just the tradeoff with buying a lowcost chromebook- its designed for use with the google "ecosystem" ?
I think you should also try changing the file name from .mkv to .mp4 if your movies are in .mkv format.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

chrispeddler wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 pm I think you should also try changing the file name from .mkv to .mp4 if your movies are in .mkv format.
You cant just change the name (unless they are named incorrectly).

There are apps which will convert them. You can use one of these apps.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

bittermelon wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am I find that more than half of the movies i have on my external harddrive are unwatchable on my Chromebook. Installed vlc for chromebook which let me watch a few more. have googled this problem but haven't found a solution. I guess this is just the tradeoff with buying a lowcost chromebook- its designed for use with the google "ecosystem" ?
Are all of the movies the same format and the same resolution?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic