adopting (buying) a baby

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: adopting (buying) a baby

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Personally, I don't think I could EVER love children that were not from my own seed. I know there are many unwanted ones out there and really, at this point in the world's population, we should all be adopting.....but I just don't feel selfish about wanting to produce my own offspring. Not that anyone was suggesting that it was selfish to want this.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

IraHayes wrote:The rights and wrongs of it are open for debate
Personally I hope this is debated by those on this journey and does not become about holding the moral high ground by those who wouldn't actually need to go down this road... good luck.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I thought they banned legal adoptions by westerners a couple of years back?

Have they lifted this or was that only for certain nationalities?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I thought they banned legal adoptions by westerners a couple of years back?

Willing to bet it was related to complying with the requirements if the Hague Convention so as to continue receiving aid dollars from countries that are signatories... no idea if the ban is still in play, although we have friends with young adopted Cambodian kids so possibly not.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

StroppyChops wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:I thought they banned legal adoptions by westerners a couple of years back?

Willing to bet it was related to complying with the requirements if the Hague Convention so as to continue receiving aid dollars from countries that are signatories... no idea if the ban is still in play, although we have friends with young adopted Cambodian kids so possibly not.
yeah i think it did have something to do with that.

We all know that anything can happen here with enough money passed under the table but if the ban is still in play it could make it difficult to get the proper documentation should you decide to move back to your home country with your new family.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:Personally, I don't think I could EVER love children that were not from my own seed. I know there are many unwanted ones out there and really, at this point in the world's population, we should all be adopting.....but I just don't feel selfish about wanting to produce my own offspring. Not that anyone was suggesting that it was selfish to want this.
I don't say anyone that has that is wrong or selfish, hell, being selfish is a good thing. It's just strange because both me and my brother don't have that drive, and both have had the operation.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Huge advocate of foster care and adoption! Please don't make this about business though. We are talking about real people here, not plastic dolls. Kids without parents, either because they've died or they are worthless people need extra acceptance to make up for the rejection. If you can't love them like your own or learn to, I'd reconsider.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Huge advocate of foster care and adoption! Please don't make this about business though. We are talking about real people here, not plastic dolls. Kids without parents, either because they've died or they are worthless people need extra acceptance to make up for the rejection. If you can't love them like your own or learn to, I'd reconsider.
+1
My sister has two adopted kids and I was involved in foster care briefly, so I strongly believe in the benefits of adoption and foster care, as long as the prospective carers are vetted carefully.
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic