interesting stats

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

interesting stats

Post by phuketrichard »

do you agree?

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: interesting stats

Post by AndyKK »

Asia has the largest range of English proficiencies of any region, with three countries or territories in the upper quartile of this year’s index and four in the bottom 10%.

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Seems strange that Cambodia is that far behind Vietnam. I have more trouble communicating in VN than KH.

I feel the level of basic conversational English is very good in KH, but the level of fluent English is quite low. Whereas in both TH & VN there are more people that speak excellent English but less (in % terms) that can get by.

That is my very limited assessment anyway
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cautious colin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 pm Seems strange that Cambodia is that far behind Vietnam. I have more trouble communicating in VN than KH.

I feel the level of basic conversational English is very good in KH, but the level of fluent English is quite low. Whereas in both TH & VN there are more people that speak excellent English but less (in % terms) that can get by.

That is my very limited assessment anyway
I'm sure most people's experience on the ground would reflect that. Maybe it's a study on some more academic level, I don't know.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

According to the website linked to by Andykk, Cambodia comes in at 85 out of 88 ranked countries world wide.
I find that puzzling as well.
I didn’t dig very deep, but couldn’t find out quickly what methology they used.
Btw, I think they should have included countries where English is the native tongue as well, just for comparison.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

These stats are full of holes. Who decides what level passes as 'proficiency' and on what basis? Most of the younger Khmers in the big towns and cities can speak a reasonable level of English. I find that for a lot of them, (big generalisation coming up) they learn enough English to get by and then decide that there are more worthy things to study. There doesn't seem to a great need to become fluent in English here, but it's usually enough to have a basic conversation.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

did anyone read at the tip of the image?

"ENGLISH PROFICIENCY"

"...they learn enough English to get by" does not meet Proficiency.
and i disagree, many places i have been in Cambodia few, if any speak any English at all and this includes hotels and gh's where you would think someone would speak..."enough to get by"

Not to play up Thailand, cause i think less Thai's spark any English at all.
Except for uni students and professionals of which there are many more than Cambodia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RobertPaulson
BANNED
Congo

Post by RobertPaulson »

Any stats in ASEAN are nearly always off, In face saving cultures you rarely hear or see the truth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic