Anne Frank lampooned!

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anne Frank lampooned!

Post by Clutch Cargo »

What were they thinking??? :facepalm: :shock: :unknown: :nono:

Harvard Lampoon Apologizes For Publishing Image Of Anne Frank In Bikini

CAMBRIDGE (CBS) – The Harvard Lampoon is under fire for photoshopping Anne Frank’s head onto a bikini-clad body. The Lampoon is run by Harvard University students and is the oldest satire magazine in the country. It is now apologizing and pledging to overhaul its editorial process.

It is hard to distract Harvard students during finals, but the latest issue of the Harvard Lampoon went way beyond that. In fact, many Jewish students were so angry they were demanding resignations at the 150-year-old comedy magazine.

The magazine featured a photoshopped picture of Anne Frank with the girl’s head stuck to the top of a bikini-clad body and the caption: “Gone Before Her Time: Virtual Aging Technology Shows Us What Anne Frank Would Have Looked Like if She Hadn’t Died”.

“Certain things are just not funny and they’ll never be funny,” said Rabbi Hirschy Zarchi, a Harvard chaplain.

Anne Frank, is one of the most recognizable figures from the Holocaust — a Jewish girl who was hidden from the Nazis by her father for years before being discovered and sent to a concentration camp where she perished. The heart-breaking diary she kept has been translated into 60 languages.

The Harvard Lampoon was swamped with student complaints, accusing the magazine of everything from anti-Semitism to trivializing genocide.

“We’re not joking,” said student Ilan Goldberg. “We’re not going down this slippery slope of making jokes about genocide about you know objectifying a girl who was killed in gas chambers.”

The Lampoon reversed course Tuesday night with a posting on its website which apologizes for “our negligence in allowing this piece to be created and printed.”

The magazine goes on to insist that it “condemns any and all forms of anti-Semitism.”

Going forward, the Lampoon pledges to approach its content with greater care and says it will set up a process to get more editorial oversight before the magazine is published.

“They’re ashamed of what they did,” Rabbi Zarchi said. “This was a terrible error and we all hope and I’m certain this will be a teaching moment not only for them but for all of us.”

https://cbsloc.al/2Q3As4z
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Anne Frank lampooned!

Post by Sidewalker »

Quote:“We’re not joking,” said student Ilan Goldberg. “We’re not going down this slippery slope of making jokes about genocide about you know objectifying a girl who was killed in gas chambers.”

They even don't know that Anna Frank didn't died in gas chambers. :facepalm:

Anne and her sister, Margot, were transferred from Auschwitz to Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where they died (probably of typhus) a few months later.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

[Admin Edit: Enjoy your month holiday as much as we will enjoy it. And frankly, I have a strong suspicion it will be a permanent holiday if you decide to come back anyways, as you have shown no attempt to have civil discussions.]
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 pm
bye bye

Charlie
Bye bye Charlie. That post of yours is repulsive and doesn't have any place on this forum. I don't usually make personal remarks, but I won't miss you. Your main reason for posting here is obscure. You have no interest in Cambodia. Members here have no interest in your agenda.
:nono:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

And this is my point entirely

Sensitive groups are dictating what can and cannot be said
It's just a cartoon, in a satirical magazine, in poor taste
As might be expected, so don't read it

monstra mihi bona!
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

What I said before: Doing this with Anne Frank,is utterly shameless!
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I cleaned this up just a tad, and thanks for keeping it pretty civil this time, I just think it's fair to assume this could quickly head in a downward spiral. Locked.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Locked Previous topicNext topic