Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:46 pm
Ricky Dunn wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am Good thing I got out when I did, Thais don't want foreigners in their country. I hated all their childish rules and speech crimes.
They don’t want broke foreigners.
I can 't think of many countries that do, can you?
Yeah, I can a place called America, have you heard of it? They let anyone in, no Pesos, no problem - probably the most fucked-up country in the world.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

davegorman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:22 pm $800k is a whole lot of coin. Well done.
I wish :D

Just back from Immigration picking up my passport with my new 1 year extension. Looking around the retirement section I’m not sure it would be good business to insure the lot I saw sitting there. :D
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 am 1st ; they changed the rules and no longer do we get a letter from our embassy showing what we earn/month
OR
deposit 800,000 in the bank for ONLY 3 months
OR
combination
Now we need put 800,000 in for 5 months and keep 400,000 the other 7
OR show a Pension transferred into Thailand from abroad for 65,000 baht/month

NOW they are making expats over 50 obtain medical insurance. They keep changing the rules.
I have never had medical insurance and have always self insured.
Judging by the number of new posters on here saying their moving over from Thailand, expect even more to move in the future,
For my age thats over 69,000-82,000 baht /year thru http://www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/
HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.
The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment.
This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment.

“The Cabinet has already approved the new rule,” Health Service Support Department director-general Nattawuth Prasert-siripong revealed yesterday.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30369323
Air Asia direct flights Puket to Phnom Penh nothing else to say really
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

davegorman wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm There’s even re-insurers who insure the insurers against loss. They have even higher risk!

It’s +55 for an ER without documentation not 50.
OK, I'm showing my age, 55 is correct.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Thais thinning out the flocks of Grumbling Shitbirds I see...I suppose we will be infested soon enough with them.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Felgerkarb wrote:Thais thinning out the flocks of Grumbling Shitbirds I see...I suppose we will be infested soon enough with them.
My friend who knows a moderator on a Cambod visa forum (FB I think) said they’ve had lots of member requests recently from expats from Thailand. Not sure how they know where they are now.

I’ve met at least six in the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm
Cam Nivag wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:46 pm
Ricky Dunn wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am Good thing I got out when I did, Thais don't want foreigners in their country. I hated all their childish rules and speech crimes.
They don’t want broke foreigners.
I can 't think of many countries that do, can you?
Yeah, I can a place called America, have you heard of it? They let anyone in, no Pesos, no problem - probably the most fucked-up country in the world.
Yeah, I have heard of it my fellow American. Born there, children born there, parents born there. Paid $1100 a month for health insurance. Try getting a visa to stay long term in the USA with no money for health insurance. We are discussing legal visa holding residents. If you want to discuss the metrits of placing children in cages and deporting their parent ( effectively making them orphans) I am more than willing. If you are just trolling, as you no doubt saw the flag I fly ( same as the tRump supporters that are American ) I suggest you troll elsewhere.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:37 pm
Insurance companies don't bet or hope. These days they use very specific mathematical models to predict the chance of events happening or not, and they add a surcharge for their profit.

Personally I don't think 'hope we don't get sick' is being self insured'. Having serious money in the bank can fulfill that role.
Bookies also use models to predict events, and add a margin for their profit.
Tim Hartford (FT journalist) anaysed insurance. It's a rational choice if the insurer miscalculates the odds (sorry the premium). Or it offers a loss leading product deliberately. Besides that, insurance is only ever a rational choice if you are insuring against something that is unlikely to happen, would be very expensive if it did, and is fairly inexpensive to cover. The problem with health insurance is that you cannot buy a policy that only overs the really expensive treatments. You have to buy one that covers the stuff that many could afford to pay for quite easily. That drives up the cost of the policy to ridiculously high levels for older people because many of them get sick a lot.
There is also the moral hazard issue. If you don't have insurance you are more likely to take care of your self, and vice versa.
Of course insurance is a very good idea for people who don't have money in the bank and who don't look after themselves.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm The problem with health insurance is that you cannot buy a policy that only overs the really expensive treatments. You have to buy one that covers the stuff that many could afford to pay for quite easily.
Sure you can. Buy a policy with a high deductible amount and your premium will be less.

I have world wide health insurance (except the U.S.) and can choose any hospital (except for five). My premium (at 62 years of age) is approx. USD $1400 a year, with a $2000 deductible. So, I'm insuring against something fairly 'catastrophic'.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

What company please?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic