Sudden deaths of young tourists / expats in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sudden deaths of young tourists / expats in Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Flexxman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm I feel a bit like I am high-jacking this thread but to add to the wide range of possible causes, I just read that a hookworm infection in rare cases also can lead to heart failure. You know, its larvae will bore through the skin of your feet or enter through some opening or wound when you are walking barefoot on infested ground.

https://soundhealthsolution.com/human-hookworm/ -
Human Hookworm: Causes, Types, Diagnosis, Symptoms, Treatment, & Prevention

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/6/13-1770_article -
High Prevalence of Ancylostoma ceylanicum Hookworm Infections in Humans, Cambodia, 2012

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863361/ -
Cardiac Involvement with Parasitic Infections

Also, all necessary counter measures for prevention show that the possibility for such an infection is very present in Cambodia:

- Wearing shoes while walking outdoors, especially in places where there are faeces in the soil.
- Drink safe and purified water.
- The food has to be cleaned and cooked before eating.
- Make a habit of properly washing hands.
- Sanitation and cleanliness should be adopted in places having chances of hookworm infection
- Preventive treatment on high-risk groups as children, pregnant women, lactating women and working men at risk can be practised.
- Public health education regarding Hookworm is also important to prevent it.
- Deworm pets including cats and dogs at home.
- Defecation in the open should be strictly prohibited. Toilets should be built.
- Untreated human excreta or raw sewage should not be used as fertilizer for agriculture purpose.
You seriously believe most foreign deaths in Cambodia are caused by tropical deseases?

I can come up with a 100 more diseases which are potential fatal. For instance amoebas can create liver abscesses and abscesses in the brain which are potentially fatal. Dengue fever can become hemorrhagic. You body can become overheated when toy exercise mid day. Japanese Encyphalitis. Hepatitis C. And there's a 1000 other possible tropical diseaess to wipe us out.

But all those diseases evolve over time, and take weeks, months or even years to be fatal. Yet most tourists dying in Cambodia have been here a few days, or a few weeks, and they never ran around the countryside bare foot, they have been in Phnom Penh on their bar stool or God knows where else.

I am sure the things you describe happen, but I also know those are extremely rare events. And young (healthy?) foreigners dying in PP is not rare .
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

If they are drug related, it kind of falls into the Darwin awards category.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 am
You body can become overheated when toy exercise mid day.
I want to know more about this. :D
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 am
You body can become overheated when toy exercise mid day.
I want to know more about this. :D
Sex toy?
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: I had my blood tested for 3 symptoms when I had a staph infection,surely the western embassies should pay for there dead subjects bloods to be tested after all it cast me 15 bucks,it would set families mind at rest and give the forum some idea why so many guys are checking out early,I abuse alcohol and have all my adult life,but drugs here are bloody dangerous,cut with dangerous shit. :hattip:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

There's a lot of things the police, the embassies, and "competent authorities" could do.. should do .. ought to do.

But given signing off on a death report as a heart attack keeps the work load to a minimum and the embassy staff happy.
The relatives probably give up trying to get answers after a few weeks too.
Was it drugs? Good drugs ? Bad drugs? Beer? The heat? Trees? Poor life choices? underlying health issues already? Too much sex?
The list goes on and still the dead don't care
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:41 am If they are drug related, it kind of falls into the Darwin awards category.
Because drugs are bad mmkay.
And anyone who chooses to use drugs for pleasure is bad and stupid and deserves to pay the ultimate price.
Even if they are so young their brains and decision making abilities aren't fully developed.
And we can gloat about what superior humans we are.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

You seriously believe most foreign deaths in Cambodia are caused by tropical deseases?

I can come up with a 100 more diseases which are potential fatal. For instance amoebas can create liver abscesses and abscesses in the brain which are potentially fatal. Dengue fever can become hemorrhagic. You body can become overheated when toy exercise mid day. Japanese Encyphalitis. Hepatitis C. And there's a 1000 other possible tropical diseaess to wipe us out.

But all those diseases evolve over time, and take weeks, months or even years to be fatal. Yet most tourists dying in Cambodia have been here a few days, or a few weeks, and they never ran around the countryside bare foot, they have been in Phnom Penh on their bar stool or God knows where else.

I am sure the things you describe happen, but I also know those are extremely rare events. And young (healthy?) foreigners dying in PP is not rare .
Wow, reading and understanding what is written is not really your forte, is it? Nowhere I stated any numbers or that this would be a main factor. It is just that heart failure or the Organic Heart Disease quoted as cause can have a multitude of possible underlying causes and contributing factors. I mentioned one that is a bit unusual just to underscore the fact that although many here seem to be sure that heart attack + young = always and ever drugs-related, it just isn't. There are always too many unknowns to make even an educated guess. I could also have offered another 100 possible causes, that was the crux of the remark. And gradually detoriating health in situations of OHD I also mentioned previously as factor showing that if drugs were involved, it would be related to long-term use. And you conveniently side-step that, even using it to try to cement your own argument? Tell me what is that meme again making the sound of whooooosh?
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

PIEMAN wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am :stir: I had my blood tested for 3 symptoms when I had a staph infection,surely the western embassies should pay for there dead subjects bloods to be tested after all it cast me 15 bucks,it would set families mind at rest and give the forum some idea why so many guys are checking out early,I abuse alcohol and have all my adult life,but drugs here are bloody dangerous,cut with dangerous shit. :hattip:
Sure, you will never get a certificate of origin or list of ingredients with your illegal drugs. Unless it was in the 19th century when the likes of The Dutch Cocaine factory created ephedrine, cocaine and heroin legally. Heroin is a registered trademark of Bayer and was discovered by the same guy who discovered Aspirin.

Temmler was the producer of Pervitin, nowadays better known as methamphetamine. Used by Hitlers' troops and one of the reasons the Blitzkrieg was so quick: the Wehrmacht ordered 38 million tablets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederland ... ïnefabriek

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Flexxman wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Wow, reading and understanding what is written is not really your forte, is it? Nowhere I stated any numbers or that this would be a main factor. It is just that heart failure or the Organic Heart Disease quoted as cause can have a multitude of possible underlying causes and contributing factors. I mentioned one that is a bit unusual just to underscore the fact that although many here seem to be sure that heart attack + young = always and ever drugs-related, it just isn't. There are always too many unknowns to make even an educated guess. I could also have offered another 100 possible causes, that was the crux of the remark. And gradually detoriating health in situations of OHD I also mentioned previously as factor showing that if drugs were involved, it would be related to long-term use. And you conveniently side-step that, even using it to try to cement your own argument? Tell me what is that meme again making the sound of whooooosh?
It seems there's two cases of 'whooooosh' here:

First of all, the authorities have not clue what happened when they find a dead body, and they don't care. They will just fill in 'heart attack' (or the Khmer equivalent which maybe heart failure) because something has to be filled in. That might have nothing to do with the real cause of death.

Second, Cambodia is very popular with some young people because of its' lax drugs and medicine policies.

:hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic