22yo British Expat Sam Penhallow Dies in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: 22yo British Expat Sam Penhallow Dies in Phnom Penh

Post by davegorman »

Typical of the US to make a specific distinction between just weapons and military weapons.

Like being robbed with a knife is ok but a military weapon, whooaa dude.
“That’s not a knife”
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Let's not turn this young man's death into a political discussion.

RIP. I'm seeing some sad people posting on FB about his death, too. Much too young, and condolences to his family.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

It never fails to amaze me that the armchair/barstool know it all(s) must make a disrespectful comment about the death of a total stranger. It is never enough to wish condolence to the family and or friends of the deceased, even after a friend of the deceased has reached out to the forum for information. No, the poster(s) that know(s) everything about everything must make a condescending comment based on pure speculation. In my opinion, somewhat like kicking a corpse as you walk by. Why some people get pleasure out of inflicting anguish upon others at a time of tragedy is beyond me, but there is a poster(s) on this forum that appears ready and willing to. One can only imagine the low self-esteem that this type of man (men) must have to belittle another knowing full well that the other is in no position to defend himself or prove said poster(s) wrong. No doubt they fear there will be no one the grieve their passing from this life and with good cause for that concern.

RIP Mr. Penhold, condolences to your family and friends
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm It never fails to amaze me that the armchair/barstool know it all(s) must make a disrespectful comment about the death of a total stranger. It is never enough to wish condolence to the family and or friends of the deceased, even after a friend of the deceased has reached out to the forum for information. No, the poster(s) that know(s) everything about everything must make a condescending comment based on pure speculation. In my opinion, somewhat like kicking a corpse as you walk by. Why some people get pleasure out of inflicting anguish upon others at a time of tragedy is beyond me, but there is a poster(s) on this forum that appears ready and willing to. One can only imagine the low self-esteem that this type of man (men) must have to belittle another knowing full well that the other is in no position to defend himself or prove said poster(s) wrong. No doubt they fear there will be no one the grieve their passing from this life and with good cause for that concern.

This is a forum for general discussion of events occurring in Cambodia, it's not a funeral guest book where messages are written to family members. What is happening in Cambodia is that a disproportionate number of Westerners in their 20s and 30s are dropping dead and police are simply labeling them "heart attacks." It doesn't appear that the police are truly investigating whether these deaths are drug induced, what drugs, where are the drugs being purchased, etc. Simply posting "RIP" in discussions of these events does nothing to prevent future deaths or to bring attention to the underlying causes of why these people are dying.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm It never fails to amaze me that the armchair/barstool know it all(s) must make a disrespectful comment about the death of a total stranger.....

This is a forum for general discussion of events occurring in Cambodia, it's not a funeral guest book where messages are written to family members. What is happening in Cambodia is that a disproportionate number of Westerners in their 20s and 30s are dropping dead and police are simply labeling them "heart attacks." It doesn't appear that the police are truly investigating whether these deaths are drug induced, what drugs, where are the drugs being purchased, etc. Simply posting "RIP" in discussions of these events does nothing to prevent future deaths or to bring attention to the underlying causes of why these people are dying.
An excellent idea Cam Nivag. I did not quote you, mention your name or indicate you are the offensive poster and I have no intention of debating with you on this thread. However, perhaps you could take the initiative as it does appear to be a special concern of yours and start such a thread. I have no doubt that such a thread discussing the lack of police investigations into the sudden deaths of young barang would be far better received than the repeated attacks on the character of deceased young people that forum members do not know and are based on conjecture, speculation and in my belief extremely low self-esteem.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Enough of the off topic bull.

Young guy died we don’t know how or why. Family are not here yet. Button it both of you.

RIP.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

davegorman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm Enough of the off topic bull.

Young guy died we don’t know how or why. Family are not here yet. Button it both of you.

RIP.
If the only "on topic" comment about a death is "RIP" why have a discussion thread about it at all?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm
davegorman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm Enough of the off topic bull.

RIP.
If the only "on topic" comment about a death is "RIP" why have a discussion thread about it at all?
You said that not me.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

It seems that most posters here use Occam's razor to come to the conclusion that when a young man suddenly dies, then it must be related to the use of illegal narcotics, or prescription meds (which additionally could be fake, adding to the dangers). I don't agree.

Fact is however, that when young people have an existing condition of the heart or brain, chances are they probably never have experienced any problems from it, thus never consulted a physician, thus not even aware of any potential threat. The first time they have an issue, it often is their last time as well. Moving to a tropical country as Cambodia might strain the body more and result in a heart failure or other (of course, any usage of illegal narcotics might also add to that).

A friend of a friend (young sporty guy, marathon-runner, married with two children, non-smoker, moderate drinker) once had to fill up his car at a petrol station, did just that then walked inside the station to pay his bill. Fell down and died in the line between entry and cashier, suffered some stroke or cerebral haemorrhage. One also can have a look at newspapers and see that heart-attacks on sporting-fields are also far from unusual. A few examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... le_playing

Oh yes, I have been offered cocaine as well, even several years ago already. Not interested, and could not believe that it would stay in the Kingdom. For all I know, what gets caught in the KoW usually is destined for other markets such as Thai hi-so. Also heard that often dope-dealers will try to pass off ketamine as such as it is very cheap, can be snorted in form of white crystalline powder and will not have as effect that the user dies (yes sure, has a different effect so they will notice when using). I suppose drug-dealers also prefer returning customers over dead bodies who don't spend.

It could also be that posters who will insist that drugs are always in play, might also be the types susceptible in general to conspiracy theories like chemtrails, lizard-people, illuminati, fake moon-landing, existence of Atlantis, flat-earth society theories...
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

... Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic