Wedding Party without marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Wedding Party without marriage

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:15 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:43 am Says, "...Monthly income" , nothing about working.
Been told all they ask for is a letter, so write one up describing your income from ur rental properties back home and submit with a recent bank statement.
OR there is always adobe acrobat to show ur $2,500 pension.
You need a letter signed / legalized by your embassy.

Another letter will be accepted too, but at a 'surcharge'.
US embassy will notarize a letter where you state ur monthly income, ( you enter whatever amount you wish as no proof is required) for $50< ( note they ONLY verify its ur signature)
this is what they did away with in Thailand for many of us that used it to get our Retirement extensions.
So assuming the US embassy in Cambodia will issue such letter.......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Genti
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by Genti »

Hi Guys

there were some more questions about this topic, i like to answer.

We used the documents from Songkat that my gf is single, this document was accepted by the swiss authorities. there is an additional fee from the Swiss Embassy in BKK to hire a lawyer to check all the documents. i have no idea if this guy was checking the paper that she is single.

we declared it as engagement party, including wedding ceremonies like monk blessing, cutting the hair, etc and for the officials it was not a problem, but we have to pay them a "fee" and they could not give us any written paper. so i invited the guys to join the wedding. And since i did not trust the local police i hired the military police to take care about the "security", they were very professional and there was no issue.

within 2 weeks from the wedding here in Switzerland we have to register our wedding at the cambodian embassy. So in 1 month i can give you an update on this.

If you have any questions, just ask or pm me. for all the comments about the risk, loosing many, stupid wedding - i am aware of the risk, so no such comments needed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

OP, Please let us know if the Cambodia embassy will recognize your marriage abroad. PSD-Kiwi is far more knowledgeable than me, but at last glance, marriages abroad to Khmer citizens are not recognized (ie, updated in family books and such).

Of course if there are no joint assets in Cambodia, then it’s a moot point.

Best wishes to the OP and the new wife.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what advantage is there in being legally married to ur khmer wife in Cambodia?
You still cant own land, if its in her name an she dies, i think you need sell as it cant be in ur name
you cant get a long term visa based on marriage

So other than a matter of face .......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am what advantage is there in being legally married to ur khmer wife in Cambodia?
You still cant own land, if its in her name an she dies, i think you need sell as it cant be in ur name

You will have the right to a yearly visa extensions. Although not written in the law, it's been common practice and it's one of the few things which hasn't changed over the last years.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:You will have the right to a yearly visa extensions. Although not written in the law, it's been common practice and it's one of the few things which hasn't changed over the last years.
That’s true. But if the OP lives in Switzerland with his Khmer wife, is it really that useful to have a yearly visa extension?

He had an engagement party with all the marriage ceremonial parts. So maybe face has already been satisfied?

As an eternal tourist to Cambodia looking in, I can always benefit from more wisdom.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 am
Kammekor wrote:You will have the right to a yearly visa extensions. Although not written in the law, it's been common practice and it's one of the few things which hasn't changed over the last years.
That’s true. But if the OP lives in Switzerland with his Khmer wife, is it really that useful to have a yearly visa extension?

He had an engagement party with all the marriage ceremonial parts. So maybe face has already been satisfied?

As an eternal tourist to Cambodia looking in, I can always benefit from more wisdom.
It's the only benefit I can think of for a foreigner, other than checking 'marrying in Cambodia' on ur bucket list.

Whether it will proof a benefit for him we will see. Some Cambodians do not do very well abroad long time, away from their roots, their family, the warm climate, .....
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am what advantage is there in being legally married to ur khmer wife in Cambodia?

I presume a legal marriage in cambodia would be officially recognised by our home countries? Hence easier to get a visa as wife to home country?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yes, and there's the small matter of being sent to jail if you commit adultery.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 am
I presume a legal marriage in cambodia would be officially recognised by our home countries? Hence easier to get a visa as wife to home country?
For the UK, being married does not help much. For a settlement visa you still have to satisfy the financial income minima. Many wives have even had visitor visas refused. Too many fake marriages have made the authorities (rightly) suspicious.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic