German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Post by Cam Nivag »

RickyBobby wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:54 am I had a tuk tuk on retainer. He seemed unusually normal and nice, and asked for a loan of $200.
That's what happens when you use a tuk tuk driver more than three times. They ask for loans and whatnot. The beauty of using Grab is you never have to speak to a tuk tuk driver or use the same one more than once.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: German Backpacker TOBIAS RUNCK Gets Scammed €9,000 by Tuk-Tuk Driver & Overstays Cambodia Visa 6 Months

Post by RickyBobby »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:28 am
RickyBobby wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:54 am I had a tuk tuk on retainer. He seemed unusually normal and nice, and asked for a loan of $200.
That's what happens when you use a tuk tuk driver more than three times. They ask for loans and whatnot. The beauty of using Grab is you never have to speak to a tuk tuk driver or use the same one more than once.
As I said, I took a risk but it worked out beautifully. At worst, I helped a guy in need. At best, he helped me, which turned out to be true. I cannot subscribe to the idea that every single tuk tuk driver is a bad guy.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Does anyone have a definitive answer on if WU agents will check if you have a valid visa? I am currently 4 days on overstay and plan to leave Monday but need a transfer through WU. I always figured they just check your Passport to check the name/PP number checks out.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:59 pm Does anyone have a definitive answer on if WU agents will check if you have a valid visa? I am currently 4 days on overstay and plan to leave Monday but need a transfer through WU. I always figured they just check your Passport to check the name/PP number checks out.
They do. Just have your mum transfer €9k to your nearest tuk tuk driver and they'll sort it all out for you.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I feel a bit bad for the guy, but really why would you transfer 9k to someone else on the verbal promise they will give it to you especially when minimum wage there is like $182 a month that's about 4 years of wages for some people there. Maybe there is more to the story but to not even go with the man or have some form of legally binding agreement seems rather foolish to me. Though honestly, I'm a bit of cynic and there are very few people I would trust with that money even with stipulations. Well, hope the kid gets it back and learns his lesson.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As Judge Judy would say:

Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Pisshead »

Who the fuck gives this sweeb 8000 Euros?

Ans if they were rich enough to give that much than could for out another 8000$ easy..

Retarded situation barangs get themselfs in KoW...
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:59 pm Does anyone have a definitive answer on if WU agents will check if you have a valid visa? I am currently 4 days on overstay and plan to leave Monday but need a transfer through WU. I always figured they just check your Passport to check the name/PP number checks out.
I tried and straight away they pulled me up on it but the cashier said she'll let me off 'just the once' - so they do check.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Pisshead wrote:Who the fuck gives this sweeb 8000 Euros?
I think it’s called a parent’s love. A loving father and mother would do anything to help their kid. Doesn’t matter if he made poor choices. Love is love.

As to whether scamming so much money means that the family has even more, it would take a scammer’s heart to even think about such things (well, to me).

I just hope he gets the help he needs.

A ticket out of Cambodia and back to safety,
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

9 grand is about the cost of a year's worth of tuition at a university in England, this being a lesson the guy won't ever forget and is probably more applicable to life than most degrees.

Money well spent!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic